Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone known where to find info on the Model Numbers that Holton used ex: 230, 232, 566, 666, etc. and how to correctly identify model number with model type? Was the 232 a Revelation or a Stratodyne. What was the Model 566 and 666 were they both Collegiate model types ?

Model Types, Years and Serial Numbers:
  • Holton - Chicago Years:1915-1918 Serials: 1-2000
  • Holton - Elkhorn Years:1918-1925 Serials: 1201-18499
  • Holton - Rudy Weidoeft Years:1925-1932 Serials: 20000-40250
  • Holton - Revelation Years:1925-1980 Serials: 18500-558935
  • Holton - Collegiate Years: 1932-1979 Serials: 111100-558935
  • Holton - Stratodyne Years:1948-1958 Serials: 182000-307399
source:http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/manufacturer/54

Does anyone have a list like the above list for model numbers, years, etc. ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Aside from the early models (Beauforts and early Revelations) without a model number, the number will be stamped right above the serial number. We then correlate those with old ads in many cases (i.e., the 234/Stratodyne). The 566/666 (altos) and 576 (tenors) were indeed Collegiates--they will have a large "Collegiate" engraving on the bell. There were older Collegiates too, very similar to the "Revelations" (Revelations are usually called "Elkhorns" by non Holton folks, as that's all that's really engraved on them, other than a design.) Those Collegiates will also be clearly marked by engraving on the bell. A lot of the numbered models were just identified by their number, as far as I know, aside from the kinda rare 400-series horns (the alto is a 465, the Bari is a 480) which did have a name, the "Ideal". Their engraving was sometimes a large globe. You don't see a lot of those.

Here's a 666--pretty rare--even with the fancy silver and copper metal, still marked "Collegiate"
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...vil-Introducing-Holton-s-forgotten-sax…

Other weird and rare models: Reso-tones--search the Holton section--some good info and pics in there. Jazzbug has a 214 Tenor, and there's pics of a couple 204 altos. These are very ornate and have a ring around the bell edge.

Note: there seems to be a lot of overlap in some models. For example, 232 (right side bell keys) and 233 (left side bell keys) were apparently were made at the same time. I think the Resotones were also made at the same time as 203/213/215s (Revelations when they gained model numbers).

I haven't seen a list as you have laid out, but member LaPorte posted an accurate serial number list. The serial numbers, combined with pics of specific horns and their respective numbers (especially in the "Modern Vintage Holton" thread give a pretty good idea when theses horns were made.

I haven't see any numerical designation for Rudy Wiedoefts, but Rudy's (unless transitional models) are also clearly engraved as such.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,617 Posts
Nickel plated with some "red rot". The Rudy model had bell keys on the other other side. Not sure about transitional.

·
1,477 Posts
Nickel plated with some "red rot". The Rudy model had bell keys on the other other side. Not sure about transitional.
Soy--I think bell keys are correct on this one--looks like a Rudy transitional to me. or maybe just a normal Rudy that got buffed so hard, that we can't see the Rudy Wiedoeft "Banner" engraving, or maybe the pics simply don't show. That said, along with the red rot, this one got a harsh relaq sometime in its life.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Based on what I was able to retrieve from the Holton publications located at: " http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/museumType/1/manufacturer/54 " the list below is as complete as I was able to make it. The Holton Stencils listed below are based on SOTW forum posts, SOTW forum users, and information found on other saxophone related websites. Some model numbers listed below predate Holton stamping model numbers on saxophones however, the model numbers are listed in the Holton catalogs.

If anyone sees any mistakes please let me know so I can correct them.

Holton Manufactured Saxophones follow:

Holton Collegiate with Model Numbers:
1932 - 1979
308 Soprano
310 Alto
312 Tenor
314 Baritone
316 Bass
318 C Melody
565 Alto
566 Alto
575 Tenor
577 Tenor
585 Baritone
601 Alto
651 Tenor

Holton Collegiate w/o Model Numbers:
Soprano
Alto
C Melody
Tenor
Baritone

Holton Super Collegiate
1959-1960
666 Alto

Holton Artist
105 Alto
150 Tenor

Holton Stratodyne
1948-1958
234 Alto
244 Tenor

Holton Ideal
19?? - 19??
465 Alto
??? Tenor
480 Baritone {Info Provide by Saxontheweb forum user Geauxsax}

Holton Reso-Tone
204 Alto
214 Tenor {Info Provide by Saxontheweb forum user Geauxsax}{Possible recycled model number}

Holton Revelation with model numbers
1931 - 1980
200 Alto
201 Alto
208 Soprano
209 Soprano
210 C Melody
211 C Melody
212 Tenor
213 Tenor
214 Baritone {Possible recycled model number}
215 Baritone
216 Bass
217 Bass
230 Alto
231 Alto
232 Alto
233 Alto
240 Tenor
241 Tenor
243 Tenor
270 Baritone
271 Baritone
273 Baritone
274 Baritone

Holton Revelation w/o Model Numbers:
1925 - 1930
C Soprano
Soprano
Alto
C Melody
Tenor
Baritone
Bass

Holton Rudy Weidoeft w/o Model Nubers
1925 - 1932
C Soprano
Soprano
Alto
C Melody
Tenor
Baritone
Bass

Holton Elkhorn w/o Model Numbers:
1918 - 1925
C Soprano
Soprano
Alto
C Melody
Tenor
Baritone
Bass

Holton Chicago/Elkhorn w/o Model Numbers:
1915 - 1918 (So far I cannot find any Holton Publication Prior to 1915 that contains saxophones.)
Alto
C Melody
Tenor

Known Holton stencils follow:

Holton Beaufort
1916-1917 (Evette-Schaeffer European Stencil's, stamped Austria)
Soprano
Alto
Tenor
Baritone

Holton Beaufort American
1918-1921 (Buescher American Stencil's)
1931 (Holton-Couturier)
C Soprano
Soprano
Alto
C Melody
Tenor
Baritone
Bass

Have also seen references to late model 1970's Yamaha made Holton Stencils but I have yet to find an example of one.

·
1,477 Posts
Those catalogs on saxophone.org were great to see. (Now I want a 244 Stratodyne Tenor and 271 Bari more than ever!)

Also, there are more Baris----I've seen (and uploaded) pics of a 274, and I think also a 273.

Lastly the 204 alto and 214 Tenor were "Resotones"---extremely fancy and premium early horns

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those catalogs on saxophone.org were great to see. (Now I want a 244 Stratodyne Tenor and 271 Bari more than ever!)

Also, there are more Baris----I've seen (and uploaded) pics of a 274, and I think also a 273.

Lastly the 204 alto and 214 Tenor were "Resotones"---extremely fancy and premium early horns
Thank you for the additional information.
Geauxsax, I am assuming the Baritone 273 and 274 are Revelation's can you confirm this please? I have never heard of a Holton Resotone do you know what years they were made and if they are stencils like the Beaufort Models ? I know from the catalogs that the 214 is actual a Revelation Baritone would Holton have used the same number on two different saxophones?

·
1,477 Posts
Pages 8 and 9 of the "Modern Vintage Holtons" thread have 270, 273, and 274 baris. There's a 480 (460?) "Ideal" Bari in there somewhere as well.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?48586-quot-Modern-quot-Vintage-Holtons/page8

The 4XX series was termed the "Ideal" Not sure if the other ones were Revelations or not--it was a generic term used by Holton for most of their saxes--engraved occasionally, but more often not.

Lastly, I've never seen model numbers on any C melodies or sopranos. They may have carried internal numeric designations at the company and in catalogs, but I think both types died out right around the time Holton started stamping model numbers near the serial numbers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure all those model numbers listed were used--no proof, just a hunch.

Here's a good link on Resotones. Note some confusion as Jazzbug originally thought the stamp was 244 instead of 214.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?96787-Holton-Reso-Tone-saxophones-model-204
Geauxsax, all the model numbers I listed with the exception of the Resotone 204 Alto, and the Baritones 273, 274, and 480 that you provided came from the Holton catalogs and price lists found at:http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publ...anufacturer/54. Would Holton list model numbers in their catalogs and price lists and then not actually use them? That would make tracking models very confusing. :(

Ok, I have three new questions:
Did Holton actual repeat model numbers with the model 214 was it used for the Res-o-tone Tenor as well as a the Revelation Baritone?
Did Holton stamp the model number on ever saxophone produced that had a model number assigned in a catalog or price list?
Did Holton list model numbers in their catalogs and price lists and then not actually sell these models to the public?

At the moment these are questions that I am not sure how to find the answers too. Any ideas on how to resolve these questions?

·
1,477 Posts
Geauxsax, all the model numbers I listed with the exception of the Resotone 204 Alto, and the Baritones 273, 274, and 480 that you provided came from the Holton catalogs and price lists found at:http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publ...anufacturer/54. Would Holton list model numbers in their catalogs and price lists and then not actually use them? That would make tracking models very confusing. :(

Ok, I have three new questions:
Did Holton actual repeat model numbers with the model 214 was it used for the Res-o-tone Tenor as well as a the Revelation Baritone?
Did Holton stamp the model number on ever saxophone produced that had a model number assigned in a catalog or price list?
Did Holton list model numbers in their catalogs and price lists and then not actually sell these models to the public?

At the moment these are questions that I am not sure how to find the answers too. Any ideas on how to resolve these questions?
Holton made many horns without model numbers--the cut off seems to be in the early 1930s. For example, my Revelation Tenor doesn't have a model number stamped, nor does it even say Revelation (just the usual floral design and Elkhorn). Also, I've never seen or heard of a Rudy, or any soprano or C-Melody carrying a model number. They were simply made before Holton started stamping them, best I can tell. There may have been a 214 Baritone--maybe it was the unstamped Revelation bari that preceded the 215. If that's the case, then they recycled the number. In my mind, if they weren't stamped, then I don't refer to them by model number. Really, the only possibilities before numbers anyway were Revelations, Collegiates, Rudy Wiedoefts, and earlier Beauforts from what I know, with the term Revelation blanketing nearly the entire line.
My guess is that before Holton started stamping the numbers, they were just internal company designations, or for catalog ordering purposes. It also wouldn't surprise me if the catalogs had some wrong, or listed numbers that never actually got built.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Geauxsax, do you have info on the Holton Ideal model numbers for Soprano, Alto, Tenor, etc. ?

·
1,477 Posts
Geauxsax, do you have info on the Holton Ideal model numbers for Soprano, Alto, Tenor, etc. ?
Not sure if they made an ideal sop--sops stopped being made early in the depression by many manufacturers.

Bari seems to be the 480, tenor either a 472 or 475. Looking for the alto model number now (wanna say it's a 465), but here's a fantastic specimen on ebay (not mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hol...414746?hash=item3ab4fa701a:g:D5MAAOSw3xJVW4kO

bari (page 9 posts 172, 173): http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?48586-quot-Modern-quot-Vintage-Holtons/page9

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.