Sax on the Web Forum banner

How to clean a C-melody Buescher True Tone mouthpiece?

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Bkenes 
#1 ·
Hi!

I have looked at some threads about cleaning mouthpieces but I have found none that talked about a C-melody Buescher True Tone. I have a realy disgusting mouthpiece (just bought the C-melody) that I would like to clean and I don't know if it is made of hard rubber or ebonite, does anybody know? I've heard many different methods to clean different mouthpieces and I don't know wich one that works...I would really want a 100% safe tip to clean it. I saw something about toothpaste, vinegar, diet coke etc...still some other people said those methods would maybye ruin it...
All answers are welcome :)

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks alot!
I ment hard plastic, not rubber, sorry!
I've just read the very long and interesting articel. Have you written it yourself?
The article told that vinegar worked but could made it a bit green, do you know any way that is 100% safe so it can't become green? I have some more questions if that's okey... The ligature has verdigris and has left some marks on the mouthpiece too, would that come off when I wash it too? Or do I have to do something else to get rid of it?
Do you know how I get rid of the verdigris from the ligature and the cap? I don't know it's material, but it looks pretty much like steel/silver or something similar...
Again, thank you Stephen!

#4 ·
It's unlikely to be hard plastic, not on a mouthpiece that old. In any event, nothing much harms hard plastic.

Yep, I wrote the article.

There's no 'safe' way to remove hard encrustations - you either do it chemically or you do it mechanically. The former can turn ebonite green, the latter removes ebonite.
If you use the method described, with the cotton wool inserts, you'll keep any side-effects to a minimum.

As for the ligature and cap, they'll probably be made of nickel silver (a lighter colour than brass but a very similar metal) and can be cleaned quite easily. Give them a wash in some hot water with a bit of detergent - if that fails to remove the crud, drop them in a cup of vinegar and leave for an hour or so. You might want to finish them with metal polish to bring them back to a shine.

The marks left by the lig on the mouthpiece can only be removed mechanically...i.e. buffed off. To be honest I wouldn't bother - once ebonite has turned green it seems to to green that much faster after you're cleaned it up.
If you really want to you can rub some toothpaste on that area.

Regards,

#5 ·
Impressive work!
I've cleaned it now, it worked well, did not become green :)
I am not finished though, have some parts that are stuck, i'll try to apply some vinegar on it.
I saw another article on your website and you said it is possible to use disinfectant on it...do you know if there is some types of disinfectant that would make an ebonite mouthipece to react badly? Or are all disinfectant basically the same?
Your site is really usefull, keep up the good work :)

#7 ·
The vinegar will go some way to disinfecting the parts you use it on, but you can also use any of the oral disinfectants (mouthwashes etc.). You don't really need to use anything stronger than these.
Your mouthpiece should be safe with them provided you don't leave it to soak in the stuff.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.