Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Now I own a bari, but how to clean the body? The swab I have is not long or flexible enough to get it through the curve of the neck. Is there any special tools to do that?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I suppose that you could make an "oboe" style swab (those have 2 weighted strings one on each end so you swab up until it's about to jam and then you take it out thru the same end you inserted it)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I use two swabs. A big Gem swab that is a standard style pull swab sized for bari, and a Hodge swab a flexible silk covered wand that is pushed down from the neck socket through the paperclip and then pulled back out the same way. Keeps every thing nice and clean.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Use a regular pull-through type swab, lengthen the lead rope (make sure it is strong), and use a magnet to guide the weight through the horn (assuming the weight is ferrous). This will only really clean the pigtail/paperclip/crook, but since its basically a sinktrap, the rest of the horn doesn't really get nearly as dirty anyways.

The best way to clean a bari is always going to be to take the keys off and wash out the crook with bendy brushes. It gets pretty gross in there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use a Hodge Swab. It's a flexible tube that cleans the upper crook only, but that's really the only part that gets any moisture.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
How does the swab not get stuck in the paperclip?
It takes a bit of twisting the horn around to get it though but it does it for me every time...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It takes a bit of twisting the horn around to get it though but it does it for me every time...
Hmmm... I might pick one of these up.

I don't actually have my bari as it's being built/shipped (Just Saxes Crescent), but I do have a Lebayle Jazz Chamber 8, a Hodge Swab, and plenty of reeds all ready to go! All I need is a stand and I'm all set, as they say in Bahston.

Oh yeah, I need the Bari itself! :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use a tenor neck saver to clean the pigtail, I rinse the neck with water after playing as it has no keys so water won't harm it.

The magnet idea sounds clever, should make a swab with steel weigh (my current homemade one I use for tenor has a brass weigh, so it wouldn't work) give it a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I use an HW tenor neck saver for the top coil on my bari and a cut-down alto one for the crook - have done since it was new (I've had it nearly 21 years now) so it's kept it nice and clean in there. Hardly any water goes past the top coil unless you let the top end drop down when resting your bari across your lap when you're not playing, so you rarely need a pullthrough for the entire instrument as the pads and bore hardly get wet.

Unless you have an end plug for your bari (and most come with them nowadays), you can secure one of the free ends into a wine cork or similar to use as a handle and to prevent it going in too far. I used the original end plug for my bari and cut a wine cork in half along its length to act like a collet and once pushed into the open end of the end plug, it holds the neck saver securely in there so no chance of it coming adrift once it's in or when it's being taken out. It helps to bend the neck saver to form an arc (with a curve very similar to that of the top coil) instead of leaving it straight so it goes in easily.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Huh! Neat. Is HW the one that doesn't drop hairs? Works pretty good to keep it from getting really nasty in there?

Murgo- by flipping the horn around you should be able to do it without a magnet, but since the one I have has a ferrous weight, I've just guided it with a magnet since I find it easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts