Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECE:
1. Find the most expensive mouthpiece available. 500 bucks should do it, but there may be some that cost more. NEVER let anyone else spend more on a mouthpiece than you. If you do, you lose. Game over.
2. Start with the smallest size. That would be a #1. It will be too small, but you want to make sure, don't you? Meanwhile, save up for a #2.
3. Gradually work your way up through the sizes. At $500 a pop, you'll have plenty of time to evaluate each size. As the mouthpieces get bigger, you will be able to play louder, which is good. It will be harder to play soft, but nobody plays soft. NOBODY!
4. Somewhere past a number 8, you won't be able to play at all. THIS IS YOUR SIZE. Logic says you should back off a size or two, but ego says the big one is it.
5. Buy an even bigger size, remember - JUST TO MAKE SURE
6. Now go to a jam session. Someone will totally destroy you with their virtuosity. Ask that player what kind of mouthpiece he/she uses.
7. Buy whatever the hotshot uses. See step #2

·
Registered
63 Posts
when I saw that Saxtek, a master sax player had posted this, I was expecting fantastic advice. and I got it, thanks man! I'm super impressed by your playing BTW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts