Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is starting flute in the fall, which I know zero about.
I had a student Bundy flute sitting around for a 'maybe i will mess with this one day' sort of thing.
Now I am faced with a 'does this work ok, do i buy something else, do I rent'...although that is not the question here.

How do i check to see if there are no leaks and it is playable, without bringing to a shop (which is not open at the moment here anyway).
I put light down it (thinking I am smart) but the white pads all 'light up' and i cannot tell if a pad is leaking or not.

Any help appreciated.

Premium Member
My mentor in repair taught me this quick and easy way to make a feeler gauge. You need a couple of wooden match sticks, a single edge razor blade, super glue, a section of cassette tape leader (Kenny G tapes work the best :)), and a push pin. The leader is typically .001" thick which is about right, and the matchstick handle makes it light and easy to use. The technique, which takes a bit of practice, is to insert the feeler at about 1:00 under the pad, close the key very lightly, and pull the feeler part way out feeling the "drag". Repeat at 3:00, 5:00 etc. around the circle. Any spot where the drag is lighter will be where the pad is not seating properly.

Instructions:
Use the razor to make a cut in the match stick about 1/4" long
Cut a 1" length of the leader
Insert the pin to hold the halves of the stick open and insert the leader
Add a drop of superglue and carefully remove the pin
Hold the halves together with a small set of pliers (not your fingers) till the glue sets

Finger Thumb Electric blue Nail Match

Registered
My mentor in repair taught me this quick and easy way to make a feeler gauge. You need a couple of wooden match sticks, a single edge razor blade, super glue, a section of cassette tape leader (Kenny G tapes work the best :)), and a push pin. The leader is typically .001" thick which is about right, and the matchstick handle makes it light and easy to use. The technique, which takes a bit of practice, is to insert the feeler at about 1:00 under the pad, close the key very lightly, and pull the feeler part way out feeling the "drag". Repeat at 3:00, 5:00 etc. around the circle. Any spot where the drag is lighter will be where the pad is not seating properly.

Instructions:
Use the razor to make a cut in the match stick about 1/4" long
Cut a 1" length of the leader
Insert the pin to hold the halves of the stick open and insert the leader
Add a drop of superglue and carefully remove the pin
Hold the halves together with a small set of pliers (not your fingers) till the glue sets

View attachment 261094
More accurate than cigarette paper and more convenient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.