Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing in a band for the first time in many years. Will be using an AT Pro 35 for ease of use. Band is 12 pieces.

My question is how do you recommend I increase volume above the mix using a clip on mic? I'm not a terribly experience player but when using a stationary mic I've been getting it in the bell when it's time to solo. This is not terrible easy on a crowded stage. I also like to move a bit when playing.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'm playing in a band for the first time in many years. Will be using an AT Pro 35 for ease of use. Band is 12 pieces.

My question is how do you recommend I increase volume above the mix using a clip on mic? I'm not a terribly experience player but when using a stationary mic I've been getting it in the bell when it's time to solo. This is not terrible easy on a crowded stage. I also like to move a bit when playing.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Let the sound man turn you up. ;)

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Use the stationary mic. Whisper in it from a little distance during the sound check, then bury the mic in the bell during your solos on the gig. Unless the sound guy is riding the board, you will be heard, otherwise you will get his attention at least.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
1. Never put stationary mic in bell (sounds like crap)
2. Use clip on mic, attached to the bell, but aimed between hands rather than down the bell.

When playing with the enemble, play softer. Play louder on your solos, or use a sound guy.

Whaler, if someone pulled that crap on me when running sound, they would have a very difficult time being heard, because their mic would no longer 'work'.:)

(I should tell the truth. The sound check is not for the house mix. It's for the monitor mix, and getting the compressor settings correct for the drums. Drummers know enough not to mess around during sound check.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Our first gig is in two weeks and I doubt that we'll have a sound person who'll know our stuff well enough to anticipate the solos.

Would using the clip on for all purposes and a stationary mic (at normal distance) in addition for soloing do the trick?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks. Our first gig is in two weeks and I doubt that we'll have a sound person who'll know our stuff well enough to anticipate the solos.

Would using the clip on for all purposes and a stationary mic (at normal distance) in addition for soloing do the trick?
If your sound man can't tell when a guy stands up and looks like he's gonna solo that he's gonna solo, a sound man he should not be! And playing into both mics will get you the volume, but it could also start phasing and your sound will be all messed up sounding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,296 Posts
I do this regularly. The trick is to play loud during the solo and soft the rest of the time. It's just the way it is with a band. Also ask the other players to back off a bit during solos. It works. The other option (without a sound man) is to use a stationary mic and regulate the distance between the sax and the mic. To some degree you can do it with a clip on too. Bend it away from the bell except for solos.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I do this regularly. The trick is to play loud during the solo and soft the rest of the time. It's just the way it is with a band. Also ask the other players to back off a bit during solos. It works. The other option (without a sound man) is to use a stationary mic and regulate the distance between the sax and the mic. To some degree you can do it with a clip on too. Bend it away from the bell except for solos.
It doesn't phase? Or do you work your position so the mics are in phase? ***?

·
6,296 Posts
I am misunderstood I think C - I play with a clip on only. What I do all the time is work with a blues act that mixes from the stage. So no fades during solos....I am heard anyway

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I am misunderstood I think C - I play with a clip on only. What I do all the time is work with a blues act that mixes from the stage. So no fades during solos....I am heard anyway
Ah. Gotcha. I was totally spaced out there for a second. Playing into two microphones at the same time live is one of the worst sounds ever unless meticulously set up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Does anyone use a volume pedal?

·
Registered
887 Posts
This might ruffle some feathers, but the only thing I've found that works consistently is to run sound check at about 60% volume, then play normally. I'm convinced most people running sound around here see their board as "snare, bass, everything else."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep - I occassionally use a Morley lil Gator volume pedal. It does the trick for me.

The trick is to set the "non-lead" volume high enough that you don't just blow the place out when you stomp on it to get the lead solo volume. I learned that the hard way in my first outing with it a couple years ago.

It is sort of a bummer to have one more small piece of gear to have to lug around, wire in, etc. But it was a necessary addition with the guys I was playing with regularly at the time. I still have it tucked in my gear box just in case.....one last note, at the time I was using an AT Pro-35 wired clip on mic with this set up. We also didn't have a dedicated sound guy so sound was mixed from the stage.

·
6,296 Posts
I used to carry all sorts of boxes / Fx and stuff....the more I play - the less I feel like packing. Between personal and band dynamics, you should be able to get yourself heard on solos. Someone mentioned only blowing soft notes during sound checks. That is a good idea that works but there is a caveat - Make sure the gain for your channel has some headroom left if you use this technique or you will overdrive the board and all your solo's will sound like siht.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the never ending hassles of playing live... I've been doing it for almost 25 years and have tried it all. Don't even think the other guys will actually turn down for your solo. A guitar player turning down? To have it work with a soundman he would have to know your band but on one-off's good luck. The only way you can have a reasonably consistant volume thing happening with a clip is to have 2 volumes settings: medium and loud... and you are the only one in control of those settings. Seriously, play at 50% for you background/ensemble riffs and when it's solo time let er rip!

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
427 Posts
This might ruffle some feathers, but the only thing I've found that works consistently is to run sound check at about 60% volume, then play normally. I'm convinced most people running sound around here see their board as "snare, bass, everything else."
Such a pain when people do this at church, makes my job more difficult when on the sound desk!

·
Registered
368 Posts
It really depends on the setting and sound man, if there even is one. What kind of music and venue will you be playing?

As Hak mentioned, jamming a stationary mic down the bell usually gets a crappy sound, but i've seen everybody and their brother do it...

·
6,296 Posts
Welcome to the never ending hassles of playing live... I've been doing it for almost 25 years and have tried it all. Don't even think the other guys will actually turn down for your solo. A guitar player turning down? !
Yes - I work with two bands who both understand dynamics and have guitarists on board - and they don't have to turn down - just play softly. You may have to 'train' them, but it can be done. The more professional the players, the easier it is to get understanding in this area.

Disclaimer - I work with two other bands who don't have a clue.. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts