Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've recently started playing in clubs using my samson 77 wireless mic hooked up to the mic input on the DJ controller.

Is there some way I can plug the output of my samson into an FX unit and apply reverb/delay to the sound before plugging this output into the controller?

Thanks!

- Totallydude

·
Registered
913 Posts
TC HELICON makes some good and simple FX boxes that work great with horns. Whatever amp your plugging into should have an "effects" control, and you just need to make sure it's turned up to accept the message from your box. That's my experience anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,037 Posts
Hi guys,

I've recently started playing in clubs using my samson 77 wireless mic hooked up to the mic input on the DJ controller.

Is there some way I can plug the output of my samson into an FX unit and apply reverb/delay to the sound before plugging this output into the controller?

Thanks!

- Totallydude
Check the back of the controller. Does it have an effects loop SEND/RETURN? Does it not have native effects that you can tailor to the input channel?

More info on the gear you are using, will render more useful answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually it's a Pioneer DJM mixer. Apparently you can apply fx to the mic channel but I haven't worked out how.

With delay units, do any of them have a mic that adjusts the delay to the tempo of the music? Or do you have to manually set the tempo somehow?

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,862 Posts
Totallydude, you've described the chain. You plug the output of your wireless into the reverb/efx unit, then send the output of that to the PA using a cord, like you used to do when you were using a plug in mic. The thing is, you don't want a guitar stompbox reverb efx, you want a rackmounted efx unit. The receiver of your Samson is 1/2 rack space. You can probably find a nice 1/2 rack reverb to mount alongside it in a 2 space rack or rack bag that you can tote to gigs and use the empty space to hold the cords or whatever.

Do a little research on Sweetwater or some of the other websites that sell this kind of audio gear and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sometimes I use a voicelive play which works well If you want what you describe, mic/wireless/output from receiver then to the voicelive. Just to note it does an array of tricks none of which I use besides a little delay (Depending on the band) and just a touch of reverb. Sometimes I use a qtron which I take a feed from my ULX shure receiver to the qtron/desk on a seperate channel.

I really do find the more you add with the voicelive in terms of any compression/harmonies ect the worse your horn can sound through the PA so I like to keep everything as flat as possible. Qtron channel gets nothing in terms of fx just the sound from the qtron.

Bear in mind you will be going to another pre from the fx (voicelive).

BTW The voicelive works using XLR inputs/outputs which is great for microphones. Most pedals are designed for guitars so using a mic will present an Issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Totallydude, you've described the chain. You plug the output of your wireless into the reverb/efx unit, then send the output of that to the PA using a cord, like you used to do when you were using a plug in mic. The thing is, you don't want a guitar stompbox reverb efx, you want a rackmounted efx unit. The receiver of your Samson is 1/2 rack space. You can probably find a nice 1/2 rack reverb to mount alongside it in a 2 space rack or rack bag that you can tote to gigs and use the empty space to hold the cords or whatever.

Do a little research on Sweetwater or some of the other websites that sell this kind of audio gear and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Just wondering why you don't advocate for stomp boxes? Is it not possible with a wireless? I love my Boss Pedals.

·
Registered
249 Posts
On a DJM mixer, there is a selector knob in the effects section (bottom right). It selects which input the effects will be applied to. Set that to the mic channel and then the effects will be applied to your input. You set the level of effects with the bottom dial and then push the big round button at the bottom to switch in the effects. It will flash when it is on. The Pioneer effects are pretty good in a dance context. Any time crucial effects like delay will automatically be synced in with th tempo of teh track being played. Hope that helps.

·
7,356 Posts
Most pedals are designed for guitars so using a mic will present an Issue.
Not true in the slightest.

You just need a high to low impedance converter from your XLR into the stomp Box. It's a $20 adapter that fits on the end of the xlr. That's what I use for all the bands I play in. Sometimes I use the looper pedal with the bands as well. Which can be fun.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think you could easily do the send from your wireless receiver to an effects rig then out to an amp or mixing board.

When I'm doing my own stuff at home I run a mixer with several instruments in it including my sax mic to boss stomp pedals. I won't ***** my stuff too much but if you want you can look me up on youtube. Sean Winter Sax

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
You could also go through a mixer with built-in effects too. Whether you're using a stomp box or other effects unit, if it's in the signal path between your mic and the main mixer then your signal will always be "wet". However, you would also retain complete control of the effects level too.

Using xlr connections usually provides a lower noise threshold than 1/4", that might be one reason some people don't like the effects pedals.

Bottom line though, the more stuff in the signal path the more noise each device can introduce....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a DJM mixer, there is a selector knob in the effects section (bottom right). It selects which input the effects will be applied to. Set that to the mic channel and then the effects will be applied to your input. You set the level of effects with the bottom dial and then push the big round button at the bottom to switch in the effects. It will flash when it is on. The Pioneer effects are pretty good in a dance context. Any time crucial effects like delay will automatically be synced in with th tempo of teh track being played. Hope that helps.
Perfect. Will have to try this next time!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,997 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!

- Totallydude
Are you saying you already own this 'controller' and didn't know it had effects?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,242 Posts
Stomp box reverbs don't sound nearly as good as plug-ins or dedicated reverbs. The transformers used in your impedance converters add harmonic distortion and phase anomalies into the system. Probably OK live, but it's still there. I wouldn't use it on any recordings I do, unless I wanted the lo-fi sound as an effect in itself.

Not true in the slightest.

You just need a high to low impedance converter from your XLR into the stomp Box. It's a $20 adapter that fits on the end of the xlr. That's what I use for all the bands I play in. Sometimes I use the looper pedal with the bands as well. Which can be fun.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think you could easily do the send from your wireless receiver to an effects rig then out to an amp or mixing board.

When I'm doing my own stuff at home I run a mixer with several instruments in it including my sax mic to boss stomp pedals. I won't ***** my stuff too much but if you want you can look me up on youtube. Sean Winter Sax

·
7,356 Posts
Never had any troubles with recordings. But when I record I use a patch chord from my mixer to said pedals.

I guess in short there's a bunch of ways the OP can get effects into their set up. This is just what I use and I found it to be very easy for what I use it for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Never had any troubles with recordings. But when I record I use a patch chord from my mixer to said pedals.

I guess in short there's a bunch of ways the OP can get effects into their set up. This is just what I use and I found it to be very easy for what I use it for.

Nice video man, also +1 on keeping it simple with the setup

·
Registered
17 Posts
I favor a super-lo-fi approach since I never seem to have the money to spend on gear and I generally prefer to make "ugly" noises with my horn. For live improv/noise rock applications, I use a crappy powered mic with a 1/4" jack (often wrapped in a thick sock and wedged into the end of my bell--horrific I know, but it works) plugged into the mic input on a Boss Dr. Sample SP-202 sampler (adds live ring mod & filter fx), run the Boss RCA outs into a Digitech PDS 1002 Digital Delay pedal, and then into the amp input with some heavy EQ on the amp settings. I raise the amp up with a chair or something, and lay all the pedals out on top of it for easy access while playing. Feedback can definitely be an issue but I like feedback, so I've learned how to integrate it into my sound fairly predictably.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Depends upon the quality of the "Stomboxes"!

I have Eventide H9's that sound REALLY good.
Eventide also makes a box that allows you to blend a mic signal into it.
I also have TC Voicelive 3. Also sounds excellent and you plug your mic straight into it.
Tap Tempo synced effects and time presets are easy with boxes like these.

Boss also just came out with a new Delay I saw at NAMM (I think it is out already).
ALSO, the TC Flashback Delay is EXCELLENT.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got a Yamaha ms-6 with effects. I run my mic line into it before passing it on to the sound man. It's mounted to a stick that's mounted in the mic stand. I set all adjustments to midrange, this way I can adjust if I feel the sound guy isn't giving me his best ( which happens more than I would admit). The effects pride for reverb and delay that I can adjust as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts