Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to sell my sons Saxophone. Bought in 1984, it is a Selmar Omega Alto Sax with serial number range 8205XX. Says Selmer USA on the bell, no Omega etching, mouth piece cover says Henri Selmer Paris, Made in France. From reading some older forum's, I think I might have something of value but don't want to overprice either. Any thoughts? Thank you, I'm new at this forum stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
It all depends on condition. For what it's worth, you have a first model, true 'Omega' model 162 Selmer USA alto. Mine is also the first model, 82100x. For value purposes, its not a MK VI, but they still have some value. This value can run from $500 to $1800 depending on the condition. Does it still look brand new? Are there any dents? Is it dirty? Has it had any repairs or pad replacement? Does it have places where the lacquer is worn off? What about scratches, like around the strap hook? Does the neck fit tight and does it have any damage? In my experience an average sax that was used by a child is going to have damage/wear. There is no way to be more specific without lots of clear pictures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just bought one for $650 off an auction site, it's close to mint condition, a few flecks of laquer off the neck , small scratch near the hook ring, but otherwise un-blemished. I think it's an awesome player, will likely use it as my primary or as a back up to my YAS-61. It's ser no 825xxx. In good shape these horns should be over $1000 easy, very solid, heavy horn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts