Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play saxophone and have been trying really hard to learn different licks and melodies that sound appealing. One of the things that I struggle with is learning how to incorporate these licks into the chord progressions without looking like a dumbass when I'll accidentally play an f sharp over an f seventh chord.

Are there any practice technics or alternate solutions to learning how to play over chord progressions?

Please Help!!!

Thx

·
Registered
201 Posts
I play saxophone and have been trying really hard to learn different licks and melodies that sound appealing. One of the things that I struggle with is learning how to incorporate these licks into the chord progressions without looking like a dumbass when I'll accidentally play an f sharp over an f seventh chord.

Are there any practice technics or alternate solutions to learning how to play over chord progressions?

Please Help!!!

Thx
Hey EtanLod,

Can you arpeggiate a II V I? I have been working on the I VI II V I progression. I think that is a start. And practice the lick(s), then blend the two.

My $0.02

Eflat

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
If you want a fairly informative guide, get Jamey Aebersold's play-along Vol 1, "How to Play Jazz and Improvise". It will answer a lot of your questions, give you examples to practice and provide a play-along background to get you off on the right foot.

Additionally, I hope you know that there's no substitute for listening voraciously; even attempting to play along with the original recordings. Jazz, first and foremost, is a aural art.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
+1 to Gary. I have Vol. I and he's right. It answers a lot of questions. It's a great start.
Oh.....+1 and then some to the rest of Gary's advice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,211 Posts
Keep is simple

Start with the Roots - Then Root 3rd - Then Root 3rd 5th - Then Root 3rd 5th 7th -

Then move Root 7 5 3 and start to mix a match.

Nothing better then the basics and learning the chord tones.

I started with the scale/chord approach and in some ways it's not good - best to learn the harmony otherwise you'll go through life running scales. (Like Me)

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,548 Posts
Keep is simple

Start with the Roots - Then Root 3rd - Then Root 3rd 5th - Then Root 3rd 5th 7th -

Then move Root 7 5 3 and start to mix a match.

Nothing better then the basics and learning the chord tones.

I started with the scale/chord approach and in some ways it's not good - best to learn the harmony otherwise you'll go through life running scales. (Like Me)
This is correct IMO. Abersold's method of teaching jazz is not great. Spend time learning the HARMONY and how to manipulate it to create melodies. Scales in improvisation come in later. How can you improvise with 7 or 8 notes if you can't do it with 2 or 3 notes from the triad and or 7th chord.

BUT, it all boils down to what way you want to improvise. What style do you want to play and who's playing do you want to emulate? There are many different styles and ways to improvise that all have a unique approach to the harmony. So to steer you in the right direction we need more info on what you are truly trying to accomplish.

BTW, F# can work over an F7 chord if you learn how to use it right:) it's the b9 and is a tastey note in some situations!

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 to AGreene and SimonJazzSax!!!
Also, while you are playing those chord tones, focus on yor rhythms to make it interesting.

After you are comfortable with the chord tones, link the 3rd's and 7th's, then try to create moving lines and create links to those pitches...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts