Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that my horn is not consider a professional horn, but I was just wondering what its value is.

It's a Yamaha YTS-21 with serial 004xxx. I bought it 700 used, not knowing what the model was, but it plays nice and it was worked on a lot, new pads and such.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,511 Posts
It's not too rare, a common student sax from Yamaha years ago. They've since replaced it with the 23 model.
If i recall correctly, the 21 was around the same time the 31 (now 52) and 61 (now 62II and some say 875) was around in the 70s and early 80s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
information asking

hi!

i just bought a martin tenor sax "the martin tenor" and i want to know if somebody else have one and if you can tell me how your sound is. in fact, i'm a little disapointed of mine. moreover, which beak (?) do you have for this sax. i've got an ebonite selmer but it's not great.
could you help me please???

thanks a lot

guillomesax

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,782 Posts
guillomesax, rest assured it's not the sax. A The Martin tenor is a very good horn with the potential for great tone. Once you have a decent horn, which you do, the factors that matter are the mouthpiece (the "beak" you refer to), and most importantly, you the player. Yes, get a better mpc and go from there.

Of course this is off topic, and probably belongs in the Martin section or as a new thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
I use a the martin tenor and it is a superb horn currently keeping 2 buescher aristo's , conn 10m and a chu and a selmer mk7 (and a few others) in the closet so i think your mpc or player is at fault or you have an air leak
Dave

·
13,629 Posts
Yup....great horns...I for one dont thing the majority of Selmer mouthpieces pieces are worth putting on a Martin. Not that they are necessarly bad but its just not one of the setups that comes to mind. Perhaps post a bit about the type of tone you are after and you will get some help. You also dont have to spend a bundle to get a good mouthpiece...but you should invest in a good one. As mentioned earlier...check for leaks, they kill tone.

·
1,491 Posts
The 21s are rather common and cheap. You'll find them for quite a bit less than their decendents, the 23s. Good players, but they have a couple mechanical annoyances like that silly G# stop arm and those ramshackle plastic sideC and Bb lever joints.

I just sold a YTS-21 locally that I had repadded and serviced for $450 for a quick sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts