Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I came across a YTS 61S is very good state at that time I investigated the Silverplate version of the Yamaha 61 horns and they were very rare indeed, especially tenors were.

The SOTW member whom bought my saxophone was very fond of both 61 serie and silverplate, he was also aware of how rare this was because he told me that he had been looking a very long time for one.

There has been speculation that these were especially selected for known artists. I don’t know this for sure.

They are so rare (especially in the US) that often times members here in previous threads have questioned their authenticity but I can absolutely witness that they are real and unaltered (there was a case of a YSS 61 not S that we have seen in a strange black silvery plate but that’s a different thing!)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?210374-Silver-plated-YTS-61
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?269210-Value-of-YBS61-Silver

I can assure you they are not only authentic but they are sought after especially in Japan.

I’ve just landed my second 61S ( the serie is to be recognized from an S after the model number ) a YSS 61S.

here are the pics of my soprano.

It will be nice if other people would come forward with their horns to offer other members the benefit of knowing about this very rare series!

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, this is the second one I have owned but I have seen an alto for sale some time ago.

The Tenor was in such an incredible pristine state that I delivered it , in person, in London. The Buyer , an American SOTW member, collected it some time later from the mother in law place to take the saxophone with him in order not to risk any damage or even worse loosing it.

MY soprano is for sale too (in the appropriate section).

As you can see from the pictures above and below ( I have the pictures of the tenor too) these are really very special looking horns.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Wonderful looking horns and I know that these are rare. One question Milandro, there seems to be a pearl touch piece on the G# key. If so, was that standard or did a previous owner retro fit it as a personal modification?

Some time ago I came across a YTS 61S is very good state at that time I investigated the Silverplate version of the Yamaha 61 horns and they were very rare indeed, especially tenors were.

The SOTW member whom bought my saxophone was very fond of both 61 serie and silverplate, he was also aware of how rare this was because he told me that he had been looking a very long time for one.

There has been speculation that these were especially selected for known artists. I don’t know this for sure.

They are so rare (especially in the US) that often times members here in previous threads have questioned their authenticity but I can absolutely witness that they are real and unaltered (there was a case of a YSS 61 not S that we have seen in a strange black silvery plate but that’s a different thing!)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?210374-Silver-plated-YTS-61
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?269210-Value-of-YBS61-Silver

I can assure you they are not only authentic but they are sought after especially in Japan.

I’ve just landed my second 61S ( the serie is to be recognized from an S after the model number ) a YSS 61S.

here are the pics of my soprano.

It will be nice if other people would come forward with their horns to offer other members the benefit of knowing about this very rare series!

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must be a light effect, there is NO pearl on either saxophone on the G# key, the entire plateau is only silverplated.

View attachment 219268

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ok, for the life of me, I never understood why Yamaha never used a G# pearl touch piece on either the 61 or 62 series. It just doesn’t make sense.

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the King, Keilwerth ( and many other brands) that I have owned didn’t necessarily have pearls there.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Of course Milandro but it just doesn’t feel or look right on these horns, especially on the series 2 of the 62 where the tilting table key is used.

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, of course any extra bit of luxurious decoration is always a cherry on top of the cake. They did use a pearl on the alt F# (and not on the high F# which might have been to distinguish the two).

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We’re friends Milandro and I guess we can disagree about this. For me it has less to do with luxury and more to do with how, at the modern angle the LH pinky keys are set up, that a pearl touch piece feels there.

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
of course and in the end, who knows why they ever thought of doing that!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
To me it’s just cutting a corner here and there back then for Yamaha. As good as the 62r sop I had was, I picked out quite a few areas where clearly cutting costs prevailed in the detail choices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
well, of course any extra bit of luxurious decoration is always a cherry on top of the cake. They did use a pearl on the alt F# (and not on the high F# which might have been to distinguish the two).
My YTS61 has a pearl on both the High F# and the Alternate F# key as well as the top thumb rest. I've seen enough of them to know that they had pearls on both keys. If you have a horn without it then it has fallen off (which I've seen a fair amount of as well).

Your tenor pictured above has the pearl on both keys.

There is a 61 tenor for sale here on the forum with it missing on the high F# where they specifically state that it has fallen off.

·
Banned
566 Posts
actually,i do remember now a YTS-61 in silver-plate when i was at a dealers home.
it was smashed about a bit and would never have been as nice as yours milandro after a fix up!
what sort of money did that yts-61 of yours bring?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts