Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community!
Purchased this beautiful solid silver neck. Looks kinda old.

Can anyone tell me from what model it is and how old it might be?

Wikipedia tells that Yanagisawa made first solid silver horn in 1972.
Trying to find out what do I have here.
Thanks!
-Pete

Attachments

Registered
it doesn't look that old to me. likely from a T991 with the lacquer stripped off. I'd guess circa year 2000.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Indeed, Yanagisawa went itno the production of underslung in the end of the 鈥90 so it can鈥檛 be older than that

Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
It certainly looks more like my T992 neck than my T880 neck, as it is not exactly like the T800 neck The pivot point connection on the octave arm is clearly not like that on my T880, though I suppose that could have changed during the run of the 880, as I know there were certain changes implemented while I remain ignorant as to what they were.

It does say solid silver on it, so I don鈥檛 know anything about lacquer having been stripped - off the brass bits maybe?

If it is silver as written, one might therefore think this might be then from the T993x series, yet all the silver tenor necks I have seen for the T993x series are not underslung and have an additional brace underneath.

I am unaware if there was perhaps an aftermarket solid silver version of the neck for the T99x models that could have been underslung. I suppose that remains possible.

I note also that there is one feature that looks different than my 992 (and 880) neck in shape - the height of the semicircle bit of the lever arm that contacts with and gets pushed back by the octave rod (if that is what it is called) on the body of the sax, which seems taller in the circular part than that on my twonecks. Of course, hard to tell from a pic.

Milandro - My T880 underslung neck (lacquer) is from 1980, so your statement about underslung starting in 1990 confuses me. We鈥檙e you referring only to solid silver version, or was this maybe a typo?

Could this possibly be from a T990?

One last thought . . .Did Yani normally stamp 鈥渟olid silver鈥 on its silver necks? Not drawing any conclusions due to my lack of expertise, but something about that stamp seems just a little off, the two words do not seem perfectly in line. Of course, hard to tell from a pic.

I can post some pictures of my two underslung necks later, time for bed now.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I thought it was in the 鈥90 they started the silver run but could have been the 鈥80 , they also cooperated with Paraschos in the same period , Paraschos was and still is the Greek importer of Yanagisawa and family friends they were asked by Yanagisawa to develop a wooden neck to offer a pallet of 鈥 colors鈥

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
Mine say SOLID SILVER on the neck and the body. Seems to me there was also an 8830. Pretty rare.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for info, members.
By the way, I have also a Paraschos neck for my 992 before I bought this silver one.
Both of them are really good, better than original imho.
I feel that silver gives its best when pushed at least a bit. Paraschos seems to work well also when played softly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts