Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At every gig do you take the time to run a drop cloth through the sax, or do you use one of those fluffy "pad protectors" (I hate those things)?

I honestly rarely ever clean after gigs, even on my main axes. Sometimes I clean after practice, but not always.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I may miss running the swab through once every 40 or 50 playings. The inside of my YAS62 looks new after a year of playing.

Tom

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i always swab with a padsaver and drip all fluids out of the bell by tipping the horn upside down, hasnt let me down so far.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
1) I hold the horn upside down while removing it from the stage and shake the big stuff out.
2)I take off the mouthpiece and blow through the big end of the neck to blow the medium stuff out.
3)Into the case until the next show.

Been doing it that way for 30 years with my Super 20.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
I never clean my sax , my tech hates me.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I clean after a 2-week show season. But then I don't blow anything other than moist air down it. I don't see anything collected on my pads; I don't have a significant sticky-pad problem.

Some of my customers blow a LOT of slushy off-white mouth tissue into their sax. Imagine what lives in that! Some apparently blow a lot of liquid from their mouth, and probably even from their nose, all over the mechanism. It's got to be seen to be believed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
I would second the jmartin suggestion to look up the almost identical thread posted just a few days ago with lots of answers and a poll....

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't produce a lot of nasty gunk or crud after playing, but i'm always amazed at how much water collects in the bow after an hour or 2 of playing. It also spills out of my high F tonehole for some reason and gets on my left hand while playing. I try and swab 3x after every playing session. I too hate those padsavers, the fuzz sticks to the horn and pads. I rinse out my mpc w/ warm water after every few playing sessions.

Had my horn 10 years now and all the pads are original and in great shape (except that high F).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
MusicMedic said:
Same here... :)

I've never swabbed or cleaned any of my horns in nearly 48 years for one of them and they still work fine--it's me that's deteriorating.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
After every playing. I also blot the pads dry, gently, with a single layer of very thin finely woven cloth. I simply place it between the tone hole and the pad, and lightly close the pad cup over it, careful not to bend or distort the keys.

I make my own 100% Silk swabs in the sizes that suit me, and never use the Shove-It style, fuzzy swabs either. I think the nap and loose fiber does more harm than good frankly.

My average pad life is considerably extended by eliminating harmful acids and moisture as a result. I have type 2 Diabetes, so my condition, and the effect the medications have on my skin oils and acidic sweat can do a lot of harm if not tended to in this manner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Still using the dreaded Pad Savers on all saxes after playing, and left in the bore while in the case.

And I've never had any problems.

Plus some after playing wiping down of the keywork and body with a soft cloth - not all the time but some of the time. I wipe the crook tenon and socket as well after playing to keep it clean.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you clean your sax, you clean out all the good notes. ( I like the comment referring to ME deteriorating).- I certainly am.
Hans

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
998 Posts
I always swab out my horn, I hate working on my own horn. Now my daughter trys to tell me that she does the same, of course sometimes I thin k she forgets that I can tell if she does or not in all of about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always take time to clean after practice. If I have time, I blot the pads dry, if not, at least I use the swab and clean the pads and rinse the mouthpiece with water after I get home. I polish the sax surface too at least once a month to keep her shiny and beautiful.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Marty knows how it's done..I play every day for a living too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts