Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does repading a saxophone generally cost at the lowest and highest point?

should i spend money on repading and old selmer bundy i have in the closet?Or should i just save my money and but another sax?

thnx guys

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
Repads vary today, but for a student horn like that it should cost you between $350-$500. If you want to buy a new horn though, go right ahead. It might be worth it to get the overhaul...personally, I'd save up a little more and treat myself to a better horn. Good luck!

Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
I'm going to agree with Saxaholic - though the thought of serviceable old saxes being put out to pasture goes against my grain. For the cost of a repad, you could pick up a Yamaha alto (YAS-23) at a pawn shop with decent pads (check them first) and probably no worse cosmetics than your bundy. Overall, the 23 would be a better sax to have around than a Bundy II - at least by my way of thinking. The only way I'd consider sinking the money into the bundy is if it was an old one that was more Buescher than Bundy. But then, I love Bueschers . . .

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It depends on what a "repad" includes.

I would not consider repadding a Bundy unless I levelled the seriously wavy tone holes, and removed sloppiness from pivots, and corrected alignment of key cups with tone holes, etc. Without doing that, I could not use quality pads, and could not guarantee reliability.

That infrastructure part of the work costs a lot more than the simply "re padding" part.

This also explains why some repads can cost a lot more than others. A typical Yanagisawa repad should actually cost a lot less than a repad on a poorly made instrument.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx a lot for the quick responce.....ill will first check my local instrumnet shop to see how much they would charge for a repad and then ill see if ill save up a little and buy a new horn....

hmm how much would you guys say i could sell this student horn for?

ps-it is a bundy the first one not a bundy II

1 - 5 of 5 Posts