Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
It appears to be a 6M with the double socket neck. There are probably aftermarket necks around but expensive. I see these Conn necks come up at times but usually in the $300 range. Interesting that there is a King key guard in the case, hard to find. Seeing that the horn is rough, missing the neck and needing pads, I think you got lucky missing out! By the time you redid it (old Navy horn) and replacing the neck, you would be up in the price range of a 1930s-40s 6M.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce, however I believe it is a Constellation 28m, which they
made for the services without the plastic pant guard, however I may be
wrong, thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Yup, absolutely a 28M...and that's not the only Connstellation I've heard of where the Navy removed the plastic guard in favor of a wire keyguard.

I also bid on it. I was hoping that more people had the thought of 'it's a 6M'...or an even lesser horn.

Apparently a few of us really wanted that one!

·
Registered
417 Posts
You also really don't know if you lost it over $7.00. that's what it sold for, butyou have no idea if the winning bidder had actually bid much higher than that. Quite possible that he bid $600 but won it for $411.75.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really accurate imho, I used the 2 page method to bid with 15 seconds left, if I had bid higher it
would have fallen to me, he may have just maybe had the time for one more re-up before it closed
but I really don't think so. When bidding within the closing seconds amount is really secondary to time,
because once the time runs out it doesn't matter at all how much more they would have paid it's over.
I am not really upset I lost it though, may have been fun, may have been a headache, shrug.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
yes, a rare 28M constellation in need of much attention.
Rare though this is, it would have been a serious project to bring this horn back to its glory (which most certainly has) one could have used a Conn underslung neck for it but it would have been different from the original

this is a spectacular and almost pristine one that SOTW member fungusmungus has in his imageshack page and published on the forum. Not all the 28M have the dreaded plastic guard (which is almost invariably always broken or at least damaged like the example in the pictures), some people do re-make them for the collectors but the leaves decoration is not there on the re-makes, this one is a very rare survivor.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Are you aware of bid sniper software? If he is using a bid sniper program, which is all I ever use, then he will beat your time nearly every time and the amount will matter. I can bid with a program with as little as 5 seconds left, and not even have to sit and wait for the auctionto close. Any less than that even manually hitting the bid you have to hope your connection is past enough and the network is not busy. I can set my bid days earlier and the program handles the rest.

The other thing is that even at 15 seconds you can only win if your bid is higher. You really have no way to know what their high bid was. If he had bid 600, even a day earlier, and you bid 500 with 15 secs left, he would still win it for 501, assuming a bid increment of 1.00.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
actually anybody can do that days ahead by setting a bid higher than the current highest bid, the system will bid for you automatically higher until it reaches your set limit when somebody outbids you but is still lower than your highest bid.. Sniper programs can only outbid the bidders which are making bid on line then and there but if your bid is lower than the one that another bidder has done the system will outbid you faster. The best way is to set close to finishing time the highest limit that you are really prepare to bid and wait. If you don't get the item , you don't get it. No regrets, a limit is a limit. You shouldn't hold up though and fill in the highest that you want to go to and forget it if you are outbid. In this case , although the horn in question is rare, there was a lot of money that you would have pumped in this horn after having bought it and one should factor that in too!
.......I am not really upset I lost it though, may have been fun, may have been a headache, shrug.
Exactly!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree anybody can do that at any time, but you stand a much better chance of winning the item at a lower price using a sniper program than just setting the high bid early. I never bid without using a bid snipe program and i do set my max price early, just not directly on ebay. If i don't win, no regrets, but I also didn't give someone bidding manually to run the price up far ahead of the close.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A sniping tool, which I have used, is simply a script, I believe I can and have done better without the script,
having written many scripts in years past to play a game called MAJORMUD, which were much more complicated
pieces of software, having to account for PVP and such. The whole idea behind sniping software is to get the
last possible bid in, if the other bidder has a higher bid but the software clock has run out, it cannot accept any
other bid.

You are correct though in that he sniped me

o***e ( 2776Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $411.75
Jun-01-11 21:35:16 PDT

Member Id: o***e ( 2776Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $411.75
Jun-01-11 21:35:15 PDT

Member Id: jlovesyolie ( 35Feedback score is 10 to 49) US $406.75
Jun-01-11 21:35:05 PDT

however part of those 10-11 seconds was our 2 bids going against each other, I did
come in a bit early I agree with you there, however I was pre occupied having found the
auction late and trying to find a price on a suitable neck. C'est la vie

·
Registered
417 Posts
What I am saying is that even thogh he won it for 411.75, you don't know if his actual high bid amount was far higher than that. It is quite possible that had you bid 506.75 and his bid, even entered a week earlier, was 600, the auction would have closed for 511.75. So you have no way of knowing if you lost by $7.00.

It is impossible to tell what the winning bidders actual high limit bid amount was.

The biggest advantage of sniping software is that you don't have to wait for the auction close to bid at the last few seconds. Well that and the fact that you don't run the price up early by entering a bid days before the auction ends.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This will be my last reply on the topic of how bidding works,

c***t ( 58Feedback score is 50 to 99) US $389.99
Jun-01-11 21:35:08 PDT

Member Id: c***o ( 121Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $200.00
Jun-01-11 21:34:24 PDT

Do you notice how it took 42 seconds for the auction to go from $200 to
$389, that is because staggered bids(he bids, I bid, he bids, I bid, etc
were happening and you can literally WATCH them during the end of an auction.

It does not matter if his bid were $1,000,000 it takes the software time to click
back and forth, back and forth between the bids, haven't you ever lost a bid
by $.025 or $1.00 but your high bid $$ amount had not yet been exhausted,
yet I have still lost.

It CANNOT operate any other way or those :42 seconds would not have been
used in order to facilitate the upward bidding in the amount of $189.99. Ebay
if you notice does not give you the actual bidding that went on, only the amount's
of the highwater bids and of course the winner, ever consider why??

I respect your right to have your own opinion and I am fine with us just not
coming to agreement here, and perhaps I am wrong, with that said what type
of sax do you play, I'm looking for a new alto any recommendations? Jay.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I play a intl woodwinds tenor thatt I bought from Jaared on this site. Love it. No recommendations on an alto, I don't know enough to recommend any.

I will say that you should research how ebay bidding works a bit. I have never lost a bid without it reaching my high bid amount. It took that forty two seconds at the end because people wait til the end of an auction to bid. Ebay will always go to the highest bidder (it will never end an aution with someones bid not reached) The only time that will happen is if you simply waited too long to bid and tried to incrementally bid at the end of the auction. It doesn't take time for it to go back and forth unless someone is just bidding.

For example. If I bid 600 dollars on it at the beginning of the auction and the opening bid is 20.00 with a bid increment of 1.00 and there are no other bidders, then the auction price will go to 20.00.
Another bidder comes in and bids 50.00. I will then be the high bidder at 51.00
Now someone bids 149.50. I am the high bidder at 150.50
All of that occurs without me having to do anything but enter an original bid higher than what anyone else bid.

In your example, had he bid 1,000,000 before the end of the auction, (anytime before the end of the auction) when the bid closes the winning price will be the next highest bidders high bid plus the amount of what the bid increment is. So if you had bid 750,000 at the last second, he would still get it for 750001 (assuming a bid increment of 1.00) since his high bid was entered first.

Do a little research on ebay"s site about how proxy bidding works and you will see what I mean.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
My error, it IS a 28M.....I should have known having owned 3 of them! I have read that there were about 50 28Ms had wire rather than plastic. This one appears to have been modified later judging from the lacquer loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts