Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
A: king zephyr martin HC 1 T: 1970 Mark VI, 1985 Buffet S1, 1935 Martin HC 1 B: 1973 Buffet SDA lowA
490 Posts
As to “value” I assume usefulness. When this horn was made the prevailing type of
Mouthpiece was a round chamber. Some of the vintage horns will have intonation issues with a more modern mouthpiece like a S80. I have only played an S80 on soprano and I would consider them more medium chamber.

the big question is do you have tuning problems with the horn? (Soprano and Barotones seem to have the most issues). If so you might want to switch to something with a larger chamber.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't have a C*, but I think those have a small horseshoe shaped chamber. These horns came with Conn "eagle trademark" mouthpieces that have large round chambers. Woodwind Co. Steel Ebonite mouthpieces are very similar. The issue most people have with these pieces is they usually come with small tip openings. I personally like Hollywood Dukoffs, but they are hard to find and expensive. A more available and affordable option would be an Otto Link, Tone Edge model if you prefer hard rubber over metal. Some medium chamber pieces that work fairly well are Brilharts and some Runyons. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few modern boutique pieces that will work but I don't have experience with those so I will leave it to others who do to suggest some.

·
Registered
757 Posts
As to value, assuming it's in good playing condition and doesn't need any major work, fair market value is probably somewhere in the $500-700 range. If you mean player value, I don't think you can find anything better for that price. Many people, myself included, believe vintage Conns are among the best saxes ever made (not that there aren't any haters, but there will always be some for any sax - some folks even hate Selmer Mark VIs.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a C*, but I think those have a small horseshoe shaped chamber. These horns came with Conn "eagle trademark" mouthpieces that have large round chambers. Woodwind Co. Steel Ebonite mouthpieces are very similar. The issue most people have with these pieces is they usually come with small tip openings. I personally like Hollywood Dukoffs, but they are hard to find and expensive. A more available and affordable option would be an Otto Link, Tone Edge model if you prefer hard rubber over metal. Some medium chamber pieces that work fairly well are Brilharts and some Runyons. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few modern boutique pieces that will work but I don't have experience with those so I will leave it to others who do to suggest
As to value, assuming it's in good playing condition and doesn't need any major work, fair market value is probably somewhere in the $500-700 range. If you mean player value, I don't think you can find anything better for that price. Many people, myself included, believe vintage Conns are among the best saxes ever made (not that there aren't any haters, but there will always be some for any sax - some folks even hate Selmer Mark VIs.)
ok.I have berg larson metal mouthpiece. 95 SMS 2.how about with this one.really useful your advice.thanks a lot

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,795 Posts
@manoj69 you wrote the answer to your last post WITHIN the quote box, when you do that your message becomes invisible because the type isthe sam and the quote box collapses

you meant to write

“..ok.I have berg larson metal mouthpiece. 95 SMS 2.how about with this one.really useful your advice.thanks a lot"

for you information please, write outside where it says “Quote” or insert the quote after wards

·
Registered
757 Posts
The Berg 2 is a medium chamber with a high baffle. Ideally you would want a low baffle piece and rounded interior sidewalls. I recommend you visit Theo Wanne's website and look under the "Resources" tab. Lots of good basic mouthpiece information there, and the "Mouthpiece Museum" section has lots of pictures showing what the most popular brands' pieces look like.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
The standard recommendations for alto pieces apply to old Conns:

Meyer, Link, Brilhart Ebolin. Selmer Soloist is probably a good choice, S-80 may tune too sharp for best results. Berg Larsens generally are unlikely to give the best results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I play a new Meyer size 5 medium chanber on my Conn New Wonder. Its as in tune as I am, and sounds great to me. Would love to try an old vintage Conn piece, but I am not going to pay big money for the opportunity.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Depends on what style of playing you do and what kind of sound you like. I'd describe them more as warm and mellow rather than dull and stuffy, at least if you know how to play them to their potential. I think a lot of folks play one for a few minutes and are put off by their first impression and dismiss it as a doorstop. If you spend some time with one they're actually quite nice pieces, they were just designed for a different era and style of playing. Obviously, if you're into rock'n'roll or smooth jazz one of these probably ain't gonna do it for you.
One shouldn't cost big money. $25-75 should get you one on eBay.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I sold a New Wonder II alto in pristine condition with a brand new overhaul for $1100. These are great horns and it looks as though it is in good condition even though there is some tarnishing. The best mouthpiece I have found to play in tune on these horns (and my 6M) is the Morgan Jazz Large chamber. Micro tuner necks work best with a large chamber mouthpiece, pushed all the way onto the cork, using the actual adjuster screw to move the mouthpiece in and out.

·
Read Only
103 Posts
Brilhart Hard Rubber is the 'secret' Meyer Bros killer...

Also, consider how meaningless your post is without the word "best" - the word "best" is a myth and a marketing term used to sell things and make people feel insecure that their choices might not be thus. Go after the tone you want, don't worry about other people's conception of "the best" (opinions are like buttholes, etc)

Your horn is worth about $750 if it works well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts