Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,579 Posts
I m really interesting for jazz dry tone and love to play old horn.so still I am looking to buy this horn.seller asking price is $3000.so anybody can advice me with tone and price range about this saxophone. Thank you View attachment 6035
Older horns Can be a headache for a new player. Get a good student horn that plays in tune. Probably start lessons at the same time so your teacher can help you with the new horn. I’d recommend a student Yamaha or Jupiter lots of good intermediate beginner horns

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I m really interesting for jazz dry tone and love to play old horn.so still I am looking to buy this horn.seller asking price is $3000.so anybody can advice me with tone and price range about this saxophone. Thank you View attachment 6035
The horn has obviously been played a LOT which means A: it probably has lots of wear and B: it was played a LOT because its was good. It seems like a nice horn but for $3000 there are numerous options open to you as many will point out. I would DEFINITELY want a professional appraisal before considering purchase.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,211 Posts
The horn has obviously been played a LOT which means A: it probably has lots of wear and B: it was played a LOT because its was good. It seems like a nice horn but for $3000 there are numerous options open to you as many will point out. I would DEFINITELY want a professional appraisal before considering purchase.
It was played a lot AND looks like it was not maintained well.

OP - Do you already know a tech that restores vintage horns? Get an appraisal of the cost to repair it. If it has never been overhauled, you can count on a worn mechanism that will require a lot of work to restore to correct tolerances.

Reactions: manoj69

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Sorry @manoj69 , I cannot tell where you live. What country do you live in ?

It is an old Selmer, France...Super Series....known as the "Cigar Cutter". These are pretty rare and sought-after horns, although they are quite traditional in key mechanics and not considered anywhere near Selmer's more famous models (Balanced Action, Super Balanced, Mark VI, Mark VII, SA 80, etc).

It appears that a Cigar Cutter Alto in good playing condition has a market value of around $1800-2200. This, again, in GOOD playing condition, good mechanical condition. Project ones (which need repair/servicing) tend to run around $1000-1200.

So, $3000 seems a high price. Many players would consider this sax anachronistic and not very practical, particularly due to the pearl G# touch and I believe their intonation was considered not too great...

IF you are wanting that old, vintage style tone (I am not certain what you mean by 'dry' tone) and wish to buy a classic old vintage alto, you do not really need to spend $3000. You can get a very classic, popular, better keywork/intonation vintage Alto for around $800-1200, good playing condition (probably plus shipping) if you would buy on internet.

Now, you may be asking about this one because it is in your home country ? Near you ?

I am assuming you have been playing sax for a while ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,383 Posts
I have a cigar cutter alto and the intontation is great. It is also an excellent player, having a rich and smooth sound, not quite as "slotted" as a VI, feels more flexible. However the ergos do leave something to be desired, although I do not find it difficult personally. Still $3000 seems high, even with a good setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts