Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

What is the value of anall original 7 * tenor tone master with original ligature and cap?

I search one, but ask me U$ 700, and I think is more money for it.

Well let me know.

Very thanks,

Wellison

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,273 Posts
That's not an original 7* Tone Master Welllison.

Tone Masters have the tip stamp at the end of the table. See this information on the site of Theo Wanne (scroll down till the Tone Master model):
https://theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-museum/otto-link-mouthpieces/

Yours has a stamp on the side of the shank in a small font, which is normal for the STM Florida models (but original Links have them on the other side of the shank, another identifier of a reface by another than the Otto Link factory). It looks to be refaced and re-stamped to a 7* in the 50's (or later). The shape of the 7 is also different compared to the 7's on original Otto Links. You should check if there is another tip stamp on the table at the location where original Tone Masters have one.

This mouthpiece could still be a fantastic player, but refaced ones have normally a lower value compared to original ones.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,273 Posts
It may be a modern New Vintage Tone Master... where somebody took off the upper ridge.
That could be Tzadik, the facing stamp on those is the same. In that case the price of 700 would be too much.

But the piece has quiet some wear and the cap also does look much older than from a NV TM (which doesn't say much if it's not belonging to the piece).

Here is a picture of my 10* NV TM to compare:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...ED77!1509&parId=DB1B9FCF95C4ED77!1504&o=OneUp

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,007 Posts
I got a couple of the NV Tone Master.
With only the stuff I got in my kitchen... I can make a mouthpiece like it's 70 years old. And I'm not a wizard.
That can be the case of the mouthpiece posted below.
Bad habits and home chemistry and the mouthpiece will look older.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Looks like an "aged" NV ToneMaster. More pics definitely needed. If it's a NV, it would maybe be worth $150 USD. Well, that's all I'd consider paying for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
i too think this is a fake, not a genuine 1940's Tone Master. Dishonest people have been passing Otto Link New Vintage Series, both metal and hard rubber, as true vintage pieces.

i have both in front of me and my 1940's Tone master has another symbol after the word Master on the shank. The modern New Vintage Tone Master does not. Also the curvature of the beak is different. The above photo is exactly like my New Vintage TM and nothing like my 1940's TM.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very thanks your help guys.

I really no sure piece is original or no, because never see one in 7* opening.

I forget have new tone master models now, sorry.

All the good.

Wellison

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Very thanks your help guys.

I really no sure piece is original or no, because never see one in 7* opening.

I forget have new tone master models now, sorry.

All the good.

Wellison
Wellison, it doesn't mean that the mouthpiece you pictured is bad..... Many of us believe it's not an original NY ToneMaster and more likely a New Vintage model. If it's the NV, it's NOT worth 700......anything! Still could be a very good playing mouthpiece though!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts

Tone Masters have the tip stamp at the end of the table. See this information on the site of Theo Wanne (scroll down till the Tone Master model):

Yours has a stamp on the side of the shank in a small font, which is normal for the STM Florida models (but original Links have them on the other side of the shank, another identifier of a reface by another than the Otto Link factory). It looks to be refaced and re-stamped to a 7* in the 50's (or later). The shape of the 7 is also different compared to the 7's on original Otto Links. You should check if there is another tip stamp on the table at the location where original Tone Masters have one.

This mouthpiece could still be a fantastic player, but refaced ones have normally a lower value compared to original ones.
JJ Babbit refaces them and puts the number on the side like that. Phil Barone

·
Registered
107 Posts

You are correct that is not a vintage Tone Master but a new vintage one. Tone Master wasn't written like that on an original. However there were Tone Masters that did have the tip opening on the side as I have one. When I got it over twenty years ago it had a big dent in the tip. I sent it to Brian Powell some time ago and he fixed it. i told him i was playing a Early Babbitt 9* Super Tone Master and he asked if I wanted it opened to that tip opening. I said yes not how he was going to do it. He did the hammer opening method which opened it up but also made it much brighter because of the baffle it caused. So it is no longer a Tone Master but plays very well.
tonemaster7star_1.jpg

tonemaster7star_2.jpg

tonemaster7star_3.jpg

tonemaster7star_4.jpg

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,273 Posts
Tone Master wasn't written like that on an original. However there were Tone Masters that did have the tip opening on the side as I have one.
Albey, I'm not sure you're TM with the side tip stamp is original. I've seen many and they all have an original tip stamp on the table. Even the earliest STM NY Double Rings have the tip stamp on the table, they only started later with the tip stamps on the side of the shank.

Nice 9* TM you have. :) I have an 8 like that which plays very well, but it's a bit too small for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Albey, I'm not sure you're TM with the side tip stamp is original. I've seen many and they all have an original tip stamp on the table. Even the earliest STM NY Double Rings have the tip stamp on the table, they only started later with the tip stamps on the side of the shank.

Nice 9* TM you have. :) I have an 8 like that which plays very well, but it's a bit too small for me.
Well now you have seen one with it on the side! No way someone would put that kind of work into a piece to forge it. The serial number, the patent number, all of it is much too detailed to be a forgery. It also had the original cap and ligature with it. The ligature is very cool it has raised connection points for were it connects with the reed.

tonemaster7star_5.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
One other thing when I got it the bite plate was completely bitten through to the metal , Brian filled that in for me. Also I got it at a flea market for $10.00. I figured the ligature and the cap were worth that even if the mouthpiece couldn’t be fixed. I have had it so long I didn’t know there were people that worked on mouthpieces. LOL Way before the internet was a thing.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Well now you have seen one with it on the side! No way someone would put that kind of work into a piece to forge it. The serial number, the patent number, all of it is much too detailed to be a forgery. It also had the original cap and ligature with it. The ligature is very cool it has raised connection points for were it connects with the reed.

View attachment 239384
I'm suspicious about that being an original NY TM lig. The corners of the reed plate have been bent up. The reed plate itself is bigger than the reed plate of my original NY TM lig. Lastly, the screw is bigger, more squared off and doesn't have the old, original "grooves". Of course it's a metal Link lig, but in my opinion, it's definitely not an original NY TM lig.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts