Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,993 Posts
I played a VII tenor for over 25 years. It was a gift to me when I was in high school and all I cared about was the high F# key (which was cool back then). Sure, it works, but after those 25 years I got to play a variety of VI tenors and each and every one was more favorable to me. Heck, an old beater Martin stencil Handcraft that fell into my lap was better than that VII I'd had for so long. So about a dozen or more years ago I dumped it. It was similar to the one you have here, a later unengraved model, and it went for two grand.

Some of the common subjective complaints are a weak top end and a boomy low end. Some of the more objective complaints are a gap in the bell/bow seal and keywork made for bigger hands. VII altos are much more preferable, and often enough sell for more than their tenor counterparts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,133 Posts
Great tenors. You get the Selmer "sparkle" (high harmonics) and construction, excellent intonation, and a kind of "powerhorn" feeling, like some US old-timers (King S20...) or Keilwerths. The low end requires strong pinkies. This non-issue (I have rather long fingers) disappeared as soon as I started to play baritone. The MkVII feels like a toy after that.
THE condition, to get the best out of it: switch to a Ref54 or Ref36 neck. You'll just need to have the upper octave key link adjusted. This unleashes the full potential of the horn.
Remember to calculate it in your budget.

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,331 Posts
A lot of the bias against the Mark VII is way overblown, just like the bias against competently done (and the vast majority are) relacquers. Sometimes, sax players get some ideas stuck in their heads, and there's no telling them otherwise. If you listen to some of our colleagues, Mark VIIs and relacquered horns are garbage, but a certain Brilhart ligature is worth over $1,000. (Yes, I said ligature.) But I'm not going to get into all THAT in this thread.

But the advantage of this anti-Mark VII bias is they can be had for bargain prices, compared with other similar quality pro horns. At the same time, as it is with absolutely everything made by Selmer, you should try before you buy whenever possible. They vary widely in character and feel.

If your choice is between a student horn and a Mark VII, I would have to guess you would like the Selmer better. And as everyone else here has also suggested, the price should be very reasonable. $2,000 to maybe $3,000 usually.

I don't know how to advise you regarding getting your wife to agree to the purchase, unfortunately. The best you can do is promise to sell off the horn you are replacing. Or give her my phone number and I'll tell her how I have three Mark VI altos, which is two more than I really need, and you will seem thrifty by comparison!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,993 Posts
Steve, you might have gotten to try mine way back when we used to have the Maryland get togethers. I brought it to the one at the college about 15 years ago when Mojo brought the Martin Magna low A bari. Not sure if you were at that one or not. But I recall a lot of folks were pleasantly surprised by my VII tenor, though that was the beginning of the end for me. There was a refurbished Conn Chu Dave brought that gave me the itch for a 10M, and it cured me of my Selmeritis.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
how can I convince my wife that I "need" to buy that saxophone, and then I sell the Yamaha to compensate for the money spent ?
Do you have any magical formula to convince wives ?
It is in a very good condition. My friend is a pianist that also play Clarinet and Tenor sax, but he mostly played the piano. I am going to try to find arguments to explain my wife that it is an investment and not another "toy"...
wish me luck..
That horn is a Classic Selmer tenor. Over time it will only appreciate in value. VII's are rare and interesting horns, they play like every other Top line Selmer, set up and regulated they play good. The Yama is not in the same league.

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,331 Posts
Steve, you might have gotten to try mine way back when we used to have the Maryland get togethers. I brought it to the one at the college about 15 years ago when Mojo brought the Martin Magna low A bari. Not sure if you were at that one or not. But I recall a lot of folks were pleasantly surprised by my VII tenor, though that was the beginning of the end for me. There was a refurbished Conn Chu Dave brought that gave me the itch for a 10M, and it cured me of my Selmeritis.
I think I did try your Mark VII tenor, and a few others over the years as well. Wasn't a bad horn at all.

Hey, when Selmer introduced the VII, they thought they were IMPROVING on the Mark VI design, and more in line with the needs of 1970's sax players. It's not like they sat around saying, "And now, mes amis, let us design a really 'ORRIBLE new saxophone. One that reeeeally sucks... a real, 'ow you say, piece of crappe." THE worst thing about the Mark VII was it was not a Mark VI. Sure, there were complaints about the keywork, and not everyone loved the sound. But its reputation for being a junk horn is exaggerated.

And sure, there are Martins, Conns, Bueschers... Lots of other choices. Whatever it is, if you can't wait to get it out of the case, that's the horn for you.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi All :
I have not played that Selmer before. And my friend is in Venezuela and I am in Brasil....He is asking US$2.500, that according to market prices for that kind of sax, is in range.. But... I do not want to buy it unless I can play test it...so ,if he has not sold it until the end of June, when I travel to Colombia, and he travels too with the sax, I can play-test it and if it fit with the sound in my head, i could buy it... but .. he wants to sell it faster because he needs the money...so ...He has an offer for it, and he is sending the sax to the buyer...

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I knew one pro player who played a Mark 7 tenor with a Dukoff D7 and sounded fantastic on it. As to the low Bb problem, I will point out that this guy was a great big bruiser with hands like a bunch of bananas, and even so, he had had the tilting low Bb mechanism disabled so he had a non-tilting low Bb. The scuttlebutt was that Selmer had as their design consultant Fred Hemke who apparently was about 6' 6" tall and the left hand little finger keys were designed to his liking.

·
Registered
252 Posts
how can I convince my wife that I "need" to buy that saxophone, and then I sell the Yamaha to compensate for the money spent ?
Do you have any magical formula to convince wives ?
It is in a very good condition. My friend is a pianist that also play Clarinet and Tenor sax, but he mostly played the piano. I am going to try to find arguments to explain my wife that it is an investment and not another "toy"...
wish me luck..
I wait til the package arrives and ask forgiveness

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi All :
I have not played that Selmer before. And my friend is in Venezuela and I am in Brasil....He is asking US$2.500, that according to market prices for that kind of sax, is in range.. But... I do not want to buy it unless I can play test it...so ,if he has not sold it until the end of June, when I travel to Colombia, and he travels too with the sax, I can play-test it and if it fit with the sound in my head, i could buy it... but .. he wants to sell it faster because he needs the money...so ...He has an offer for it, and he is sending the sax to the buyer...
Its been my experience that when you find a good deal - you have to jump on it right away......or it will be gone. You have just effectively decided that you will stay with the Yamaha YTS-25.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,109 Posts
Hi All :
long ago I offered a rare mouthpiece to an Italian buyer.

He was waiting and was mostly trying to knock the price down.

I found another local buyer who came to my place and bought the mouthpiece.

The Italian trader was disappointed that I didn’t go with his (lower) offer and I reminded him than many things in life are a matter of being there when the opportunity arises.

He had the opportunity and let it go (in his case because he wasted time inn haggling the price).

You had a great opportunity.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Smart to wait until you play the horn. If it is still there in June, it was meant to be. This is not the last $2,500 Mark VII you will see in your life. If it was my money, and I hadn't played the horn, I wouldn't rush.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,357 Posts
Smart to wait until you play the horn. If it is still there in June, it was meant to be. This is not the last $2,500 Mark VII you will see in your life. If it was my money, and I hadn't played the horn, I wouldn't rush.
The “last”? I don’t think that Humbardi as seen his first! Humbardi is in Brazil, the horn was offered in Venezuela. There are not a lot of Selmers available in South America. I have helped SotW friends in Argentina acquire instruments from the U.S.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Dear Friends :
I spent all weekend reading reviews, listening to sax players who played with Selmer Mark VII, and I found a good solution....
the Selmers....Mark VI or Mark VII has an special character on its sound ( as Dexdex said : "Great tenors. You get the Selmer "sparkle" (high harmonics) and construction, excellent intonation, and a kind of "powerhorn" feeling"... also as Empressdiver said :"Its been my experience that when you find a good deal - you have to jump on it right away......or it will be gone."...
Fortunately , my friend accepted my proposal : $1500 right now, and $1000 in a month...In the meantime, I am selling the Yamaha YTS-275 here in Brasil, where the prices are VERY HIGH because there are many taxes here to imported goods .. I found in a service like eBay here, that has some people asking between US $1.800 and $2.000 for used YTS-275...
I am going to transfer the money to him and he will be sending the sax to me at the same date when I will be traveling to Colombia...
As I said before, that sax is in good condition and my friend did not use it very much, as he was more a pianist than a Sax Player..
Many thanks for your opinions and recommendations. The most important to me, is not the layout of the keys or their size, but the quality of the tone typical of Selmers that made me to decide. The yamaha is an student model, and is not in the same league as the Mark VII.
Thanks, again, to help me to take a good decision

·
41,109 Posts
great for you and for him, things in Venezuela are rather tight these days (hopefully getting better soon ) and your friend, I am aure, will be able to buy some most needed supplies.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,480 Posts
Fortunately , my friend accepted my proposal : $1500 right now, and $1000 in a month...In the meantime, I am selling the Yamaha YTS-275 here in Brasil, where the prices are VERY HIGH because there are many taxes here to imported goods .. I found in a service like eBay here, that has some people asking between US $1.800 and $2.000 for used YTS-275...
I'd say you made an excellent decision and will be very happy you did it!

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
JL : I have to wait until the end of June, to receive my Mark VII, in the meantime I am selling the Yama, and doing mouthpiece-only exercises , until I have the Selmer with me, and also practicing with my Chinese Soprano ( Gulf Instruments Mark )...
after reading the opinions given here, I decided that it will be a better decision to buy this Mark VII...I thank all of you that gave me advice on the purchase.. Thanks a lot..

·
41,109 Posts
Gulf is actually in all probability a made in Taiwan saxophone

21 - 40 of 50 Posts