Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the 1970s heyday of the Hunt Brothers, when silver got to a high of $50 an ounce, King Silver-Sonics were bought up and liquidated for their silver content...:faceinpalm:

With silver today @ $30+ per oz, I'm wondering how much the silver in a Silver-Sonic is worth...anyone know the weight of a sterling silver King bell and/or neck?...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Most of the cost of making silver parts is the machining and shaping. Although a flute of all silver only has about 24 ounces of sterling, the cost of the parts is far more than the actual silver in raw form. That bell and neck would really cost a lot today!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
what Bruce has said..........these horns have a value , as a complete saxophone, that far outvalues the silver scrap value . Not so fashionable silver implements though (for which an antique or collector value is not the case) will bring more money as scrap than otherwise, same thing for golden items.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what Bruce has said..........these horns have a value , as a complete saxophone, that far outvalues the silver scrap value . Not so fashionable silver implements though (for which an antique or collector value is not the case) will bring more money as scrap than otherwise, same thing for golden items.
Yes, but...the value of the silver in the bell and neck will always give the item (Silver-Sonic) a so-called "floor value". That value is independent of its condition, playability etc.

I'm just wondering if what i see as an increase in the sales activity of Silver-Sonics is at least somewhat more a function of their silver content than their musical "prowess" or Bling.

And if not yet, then at what point ($$) will musicians (pros/hobbyist) have to compete with speculators ("silver bugs") for their "holy grail" horns.

·
38,875 Posts
as I said , I don't think we are anywhere near that

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'd bet if you had a silver bell and neck the profit of selling them as a bell and neck would far outweigh the pure melt price. However it is an interesting question, can someone weigh a bell or neck and I am sure someone can find the real price silver brings.

·
38,875 Posts
you mean someone who has a silver bell not attached (soldered) to a horn and just laying around? I think this is gonna need some waiting............

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,816 Posts
The King Super-20 Silver sonic is one of the great saxophones of all time. It will take a world catastrophe to make the silver worth more than the horn. Better to buy up old expensive dinner settings (knives, forks and spoons). They don't make great music.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...ive got a friend who did it in Philadelphia...but they were only the wrecked unplayable horns

...makes me think of the scene in the movie Raging Bull where Jake LaMotta needs money so he takes a hammer,removes the jewels from his championship belt and takes them to the jeweler.............of course,the jeweler says...Wheres the belt??thats worth much more!!!!!

p.s. Jake La Motta,absolutely the funniest mofo I EVER met!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts