Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have noticed that the amount of curve in a Curved soprano's neck differs highly between different brands and times.

Are there any reasons for this? What is more comfortable to play? Very bent similar to an Alto, or fairly straight?

Thanks.

BPSAX

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brands have more of a curve?

Including the vintage Bueschers, Conns etc...

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have no preference - sometimes I use a straight neck on my curved sop. Although I've owned several vintage and modern curved sopranos, the neck curve is something to which I paid little attention.

I recall trying several different soprano necks on my SC902 and the stock neck with the SC902 had more curvature than did the stock curved neck that came with my straight S992.

Of all the soprano necks I have (seven if I've counted correctly), the stock SC902 neck and a solid silver straight Yanagisawa neck I bought off of eBay play the best on the SC902. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Conns from the teens and earlier tend to have less curve than the later ones. Martins, Bueschers and Kings tend to be more curved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I like a medium curve. With a slight curve, such as that found on necks that come with most straight dual-neck sops, the neckstrap can rub against the left thumb as with on a straight neck. With the more pronounced curved necks, such as the ones that come with the Yanigasawa 990 series curved models, the strap has to be set much higher so that the arms are held at an uncomfortable (for me) position. The Yani 900 series necks are in between and allow the arms and hands to be held in a comfortable playing position. I use a 900 series neck on my Yani SC-992.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts