Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I own a vintage Selmer tenor sax, given to me by my uncle who played it as a teenager. I think it was made in the early 60's, but I'm not sure...
It's in really great condition, in its original case with the original neck and Selmer mouthpeice.

Anyone can tell me anything about this sax/ model? How much do you think it worth?

Thank you!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,039 Posts
It would help if we knew the serial number. It should be right under the thumb hook opposite the side of the bell.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-7362.html

Here is some information I found out. The Selmer Pennsylvania was made by other people, kielwerth, amati.

Student line horn, unless its the Pennsylvania Special, which might catch a little more.

As to its value, who knows :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying.
The serial number is C8472. I read the info at the link you sent me and I'm a little confused. I sais that the Pennsylvania models were made in Czechoslovakia or in the US, and in other sources I looked up it says that this model was made in Japan, when my sax was made in London...
How do we know if it's the Pennsylvania Special?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,039 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,195 Posts
actually, I don't think this was made in England. This is a Selmer London made elsewhere (hence the term foreign which was compulsory for goods made outside of the U.K. ) and by the way it looks it bears a striking resemblance to an Italian Orsi horn (also the letter followed by a 4 digits serial number and the engraving pattern)

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Whatever it is, it looks to be a quality horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Paul Maslin at pmwoodwind.com might know more about this. Email him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
... How do we know if it's the Pennsylvania Special?
I have a Pennsylvania Special alto and it looks quite different in style to your saxophone. Mine says "Pennsylvania Special Made in Czechoslovakia" on the bell. Also the side and pinky keys are all fitted with mother of pearl (plastic I guess!) and the retainers for the bell keys are of a wire cage type design whereas yours are flat with cutouts.

I found some pictures of another Pennsylvania Special on the web - it looks similar to mine but the engraving on the bell is a bit different and the left hand pinky keys are rounded whereas mine are squarer. I'll try and post some pics of mine later.

Hope this helps with your identification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts