Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy There,

I need som help with putting a pricetag on my saxophone.

I inherited this instrument 5 years ago after the death of my grandfather.
I've been playing it since but now that I am studying drums for my bachelor degree,
I haven't got any time left to play my sax.

So I decided to sell the instrument so that it could still have a musical journey.

It's a Amati Super Classic Alto Saxophone.

The Serial Number is: 154196

View attachment 61034 View attachment 61035 [ ATTACH=CONFIG]61036[/ATTACH]ATTACH=CONFIG]61037[/ATTACH] View attachment 61038

Thanks for the help ! :)
W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,182 Posts
Frankly speaking they are worth very little and you probably are better off keeping it or if you want it to have a meaningful life as a saxophone, donate to one of the many institutions which provide instruments for charity.

They are not bad horns after all!

In my part of the world these are as common as muck and very few people want them. It is not so much that they are bad but their image is not a very good one and they are everywhere. Also found them under different names because these were stenciled a lot.

In the Netherlands you can buy one between 100€ to 200€ and once I was given one of these in perfect state and repaid the person who gave it to me , for free because she couldn’t sell it, with a bottle of wine.

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,117 Posts
Milandro is spot on. If you think there is a chance you will come back to playing sax, even casually, I'd put it in the closet and save it. I've played two of these over the years and they are pretty good horns with good intonation and tone. Frankly, I've liked every Amati I've played. It will cost you more to purchase a horn in good playing condition down the road than you will get out of this one now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hy guys,

Thank for the quick answers.

Still got one question though.
Does anyone know what model this saxophone is?
Because I can't find any matching pictures on the internet...

Grtz,
W. :)

·
39,182 Posts
If you are referring to the fact that this is different from the contemporary Amati saxophone this is hardly strange!

They do update things in the Czech republic too, from time to time!

http://www.amati.cz/en/woodwind-instruments/saxophones/alto-saxophones

Those are the new models , yours is an older one.............But it is exactly as it says on the bell, Amati Super Classic Alto , that’s the model.............and the world is full of them in all shapes and forms. Sometimes they are called AAS21, AAS 31 ( the latter has a high F#)

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resource...ww.saxontheweb.net/&ref=&ss=11645j17910223j27

This is an amati

this is a corton stencil

Musica Steyr, same sax, slightly different guards and brace

·
39,182 Posts
If you are able to sell this sax for $1400, you must know something that I am not aware of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts