Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So I have a silver plated martin Indiana tenor sax that I'm looking to sell or trade in. I'm just wondering how much it's going to be worth? It sounds great and has pretty much no rust or scratches (original lacquer/plating is still there). Do you have a rough idea of how much it'd be worth?

I just mostly play my yanagisawa alto and would prefer a modern tenor to match it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
Would love to see some pics. I dont believe I have ever seen an Indiana silver plated.

My guess is it would be worth a little more than a regular Indiana since they are not common. I suspect it would still be a lower cost than the vintage Martin Pro line. Finish differences fetch a small premium but not generally large.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts
The Indiana is not one of the most sought after models made by Martin. The fact that it is silverplate would make it just marginally worth a bit more simply because it is rarer and the other hand silver needing more care than lacquer would probably attract fewer buyers ( but the attracted ones will be prepared to pay a little more)

If you run a search in the marketplace you see that there are/were several for sale.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsea...ww.saxontheweb.net%2F&ref=&ss=7323j4632565j27

I really think that $700 would be top money for your saxophone in the current market. Assuming that it needs no work at all and that pads are new otherwise take at least $100 off.

Incidentally, plated saxophones are not normally lacquered over plate and they don’t form rust but oxidation (on the exposed brass) or tarnish on the silver-plated bits.

Good Luck with the sales.

By the way since you are a member from before 2013 even if you have yet to reach the 50 minimum posts-count you should be “ grandfathered” and have the selling privileges on the forum.

To clarify,
Members who joined prior to the 2013 change in rules are grandfathered in. They do not require the 50 post count to post ads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts