Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sax body 2.jpg

sax brand.jpg
so, i was looking for a 2nd hand soprano sax. someone was trying to sell me his. and what do you guys think this would go for really? many thanks!

P.S. i'm a guitarist not a sax guy. forgive me if i've done something wrong :mrgreen:

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Well, prestini Buys saxophones in China and Vietnam.

There are better saxophones out there to buy and if you want to buy a Chinese sax then buy a Chiese sax that is sold from a Chinese vendor.

well, in Australia maybe but nowhere else even as a Chinese horn , it must bring 鈧150 any day of the week

Any modern Chinese made soprano does, at least, that around these parts. Unplayable decoration instruments would make more than that ! Even a prop to hand on a wall.

But every place has its market. I don鈥檛 buy this type of saxophone, but there are people out there whom would certainly buy them for cheap, adjust them and sell it on for 鈧300 or more

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys. thanks for the reply! =D . any who. the guy that was tryna sell this to me played it. sounded alright to me? not that i know how to judge sax if it's good or not lol. i wanna try the sax. but im not sure if this is just a passing interest or if ill really be into it. any tips?

Registered
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that most people would recommend that you start on an alto if you've never played before at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that most people would recommend that you start on an alto if you've never played before at all.
meaning i'd have to buy a different sax... well. i actually don't know what to look for tho. as i'ven't decided to pursue the sax. just curious if i should give this soprano sax a go? like how much should be right? like below 150 euros? .etc etc.

Registered
meaning i'd have to buy a different sax... well. i actually don't know what to look for tho. as i'ven't decided to pursue the sax. just curious if i should give this soprano sax a go? like how much should be right? like below 150 euros? .etc etc.
Well at that price you don't stand to loose much if you decide sax is not for you and have to sell it. Realize that soprano is notoriously difficult to play in tune and get a good sound on which is why most folks learn to play on alto or tenor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well at that price you don't stand to loose much if you decide sax is not for you and have to sell it. Realize that soprano is notoriously difficult to play in tune and get a good sound on which is why most folks learn to play on alto or tenor.
i see now, thank you! i'll be meeting up with him within this week. how much should i bargain for his sax? so if ever he says anything above that. i'll just save the money and look for another sax.

Registered
i see now, thank you! i'll be meeting up with him within this week. how much should i bargain for his sax? so if ever he says anything above that. i'll just save the money and look for another sax.
That's really up to you and what you think it's worth to you. There's a guy here in Arizona selling gold lacquered ones new for $350 (about 310 euro) on ebay. Though, there is no guarantee that the ones he's selling and the one you're looking at were made in the same place so TIFWIW. I suspect milandro's suggestion of 150 euro is probably close to fair if it's in good shape and plays well.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
$50-$60 tops.
Just about.

Seriously....if it plays up and down....perhaps $100-125.....TOPS.

Miguel, what is your budget, seriously ? Because if you are hoping to nab a quasi-decent used Sop for under $400 or so....you may wanna revise that expectation.

If all you truly have is $400 or less, then you will ultimately end up with a not-good Soprano. But this is not making a judgment on the buyer....just stating a fact: some folks have very limited budgets, so they really have little choice as far as what they can afford...in which instance, you will end up with something compromised.

BUT....it may serve you OK or 'good enough' for at least a while....sorta depends on how you plan on using it.

I would actually agree with an above comment...if what you are considering is dabbling in sax....it may seem as if the smallest one would be the most affordable. BUt that's not the case.

Altos are the cheapest, and it is possible to find a used Alto of at least decent repute and in decent playing shape for around $250....that # is PUSHING it....but it's possible....

Soprano is also a tricky horn to start on, for various reasons....

Distinguished SOTW Member
I picked up a very decent Jupiter soprano for $300 Australian dollars.
Which is around $215-$220 US.
This is a used instrument in like new condition.
Decent in that it seems well made, feels good under the fingers and is not a challenge to play in tune with itself.
I tried some other very inexpensive sopranos around the same time and most were very difficult to play in tune.
Also many were in pretty ordinary shape.
Perhaps because they were inexpensive, the owners didn鈥檛 look after them or maybe due to poor initial workmanship.
I would advise steering clear of these very budget sopranos unless you are a seasoned player and able to recognise a bargain from a toy masquerading as a saxophone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no no no no. again, im a guitarist so i've really no idea how to look for a sax. sorry if i gave you that impression :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just about.

Seriously....if it plays up and down....perhaps $100-125.....TOPS.

Miguel, what is your budget, seriously ? Because if you are hoping to nab a quasi-decent used Sop for under $400 or so....you may wanna revise that expectation.

If all you truly have is $400 or less, then you will ultimately end up with a not-good Soprano. But this is not making a judgment on the buyer....just stating a fact: some folks have very limited budgets, so they really have little choice as far as what they can afford...in which instance, you will end up with something compromised.

BUT....it may serve you OK or 'good enough' for at least a while....sorta depends on how you plan on using it.

I would actually agree with an above comment...if what you are considering is dabbling in sax....it may seem as if the smallest one would be the most affordable. BUt that's not the case.

Altos are the cheapest, and it is possible to find a used Alto of at least decent repute and in decent playing shape for around $250....that # is PUSHING it....but it's possible....

Soprano is also a tricky horn to start on, for various reasons....

i see , i see. then i'd go for an alto sax then. my initial thought was that, i'd start with the smallest one thinking it'd be easier since it's small haha... sure i'd be willing to save up a little more 260+- euros to try the sax. going much higher for me i think would be too much and instead use it on my guitar.

Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
Based on what you just said I'd say cool your jets for a while, do some serious research. Listen to different sax players on YouTube. Listen to soprano, alto, tenor and baritone players and get a feel for what moves you. Then go to a reputable music shop and tell them what you're interested in. Most folks around here will probably tell you that if you are just starting out a Yamaha student sax will never let you down. That would be how I would approach it now, knowing what I've learned since I bought a 60 year old vintage tenor sax sight unseen ten years ago. But then I'd been playing clarinet for most of my life and had owned a Buescher True Tone alto when I was a kid in high school so at least I had and idea that I wanted a tenor. So all I really have to say is slow down, think about it, listen to sax music you like and get an instrument that isn't overpriced or too cheap to last.

If like Jaye said, you're just dabbling, I still recommend you buy the best instrument you can. If that means waiting six months so you can save a couple hundred more euros then do it. I started out 100 years ago on a cheap $40 plastic clarinet. When I was able to finally get a professional quality horn I was amazed. First I was amazed at how much easier it was to play. And secondly I was amazed at how it sounded. No comparison. Again, take your time and be wise.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
I picked up a very decent Jupiter soprano for $300 Australian dollars.
Which is around $215-$220 US.
This is a used instrument in like new condition.
Decent in that it seems well made, feels good under the fingers and is not a challenge to play in tune with itself.
I tried some other very inexpensive sopranos around the same time and most were very difficult to play in tune.
Also many were in pretty ordinary shape.
Perhaps because they were inexpensive, the owners didn鈥檛 look after them or maybe due to poor initial workmanship.
I would advise steering clear of these very budget sopranos unless you are a seasoned player and able to recognise a bargain from a toy masquerading as a saxophone.
Good advice.

FWIW, Jupiters, which I actually like, do not usually sell for that low in a used Sop.

So you got a hecka deal, but it's an outlier for sure. A used Jupe, even a 5XX model, soprano, typically runs around $500+ usd here....

i see , i see. then i'd go for an alto sax then. my initial thought was that, i'd start with the smallest one thinking it'd be easier since it's small haha... sure i'd be willing to save up a little more 260+- euros to try the sax. going much higher for me i think would be too much and instead use it on my guitar.
I would think for 鈧260 you should be able to find a fairly reputable-brand used Alto in acceptable playing shape....European market is not my forte, but it seems like a fair possibility to me.

SOTW Member
Miguel you are not a serious sax player, at this point you will have fun making sounds on a Soprano. The forum is right, sop is a difficult sax to start on. Pay him $100US and go have fun. OR get serious, spend a least a Few hundred get a decent Alto and a few lessons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts