Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much effect the tip opening on two of the same mouthpieces had on the sound. I have heard people say that they prefered the 6 to the 6* or whatever. Is that just the feel of the opening or is the sound different with different openings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
SaxColossusJR said:
I was wondering how much effect the tip opening on two of the same mouthpieces had on the sound. I have heard people say that they prefered the 6 to the 6* or whatever. Is that just the feel of the opening or is the sound different with different openings.
That's probably a feel thing more than a tone thing because alot of the difference in opening can be evened out by using a softer reed on the larger opening. Also it is very hard to compare two mouthpieces even if they are the same brand because of sloppy quality control. For example, my 7* NY Link blows easier than my 5* NY Link mainly because the facing is probably done better. As far as volume goes, they are about the same, though some will say a larger opening will be louder.The top notes on the smaller Link are thinner than those on the 7*, but again, I don't think the opening is too much of a factor. Others will have a different opinion. Mine is based on my experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
MojoBari said:
I have a FAQ answer on my site about tip openings.
This FAQ originally appeared quite some time ago on SOTW, from where I downloaded it because Mojo's post was so tightly written and to the point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts