Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Upon reading Kessler's explanation I was disappointed by the fact that no comparison's were made with the subjects blindfolded with the test administrator handing them the instruments in a random order. Acoustic science seems to support the finding that there is no difference in the sound emitted by the saxophone based upon its finish. However claiming that the "sound" is different behind the saxophone actually contradicts the science. It would be far more accurate in my opinion to state that the player's perception of the sound changes from one finish to the next. There is a significant difference between the harmonic spectrum of the sound emitted into the room, and the player's perception of the sound which also includes the bioacoustic feedback as well as the sound waves picked up by the player's ears. Only through "bind testing" can the accuracy and validity of player's perceptions of the sound be studied and analyzed.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The other thing I take away from the article is that none of us actually know what our horns sound like.
A good quality recording can help, but every time I record myself my first thought is "is that what I really sound like"?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts