Sax on the Web Forum banner

How Much are Walt Johnson Cases Worth and Why?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FunkyHorn626 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

So I came across a stunning deal and purchased a Alto and a Tenor Walt Johnson Case for under $100 off of craigslist and I have heard of these before, but I never understood their value. Can anyone explain because some say they are better then Hiscox and love them, and some despise them.

I am possibly thinking about selling them both being that I am going to college this fall for Music Education, but I have no idea roughly what I should value them as...

Any ideas?

Here is a link to a drive with some pictures of them: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-63UkPCAWSXwvwxmxv1Jt2Sj1JYUiojv?usp=sharing

Thank you!
Jo

#2 ·
Great find! People love these because they are built like tanks and hold the horn extremely securely. I’ve been using mine on alto for many years and it’s been perfect. Since they have been out of productions for decades the prices have gone up and they seem to still be high. You could probably get $200-400 for each today based on their current market values, those are also in great shape which is fantastic

#4 ·
Great find! People love these because they are built like tanks and hold the horn extremely securely. I've been using mine on alto for many years and it's been perfect. Since they have been out of productions for decades the prices have gone up and they seem to still be high. You could probably get $200-400 for each today based on their current market values, those are also in great shape which is fantastic
So would you recommend these over hiscox?

#6 ·
Walt Johnson were the most sturdiest cases made back in the day. The latches were second to none. I owned one for a Mark VI for the longest time. As with almost anything, after a while the quality became very inconsistent (horns not fitting properly inside the case, too much wiggle and movement) the outside finishing didn't seem to hold up as well, my case began to crack in spots. Still did its job in terms of protecting the horn for the most part but after paying the kind of money that they were selling for I found them not to be worth it.

Cases were also too heavy. I understand in order to protect you need some weight to it, but being someone with back issues I didn't find it to be the most comfortable. Yes, a lot of players are still using them and loving them. If I were to go with something in terms of this route again, I would probably contact Mike Manning and get one of his cases

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.