Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Jazz Icon Trane dvd arrived last PM. Getz chiprs at least 6x's on one short solo. :!: What was his problem:? Cheap old cracked warped reeds, bad tip, uneven table, to high of baffle off the tip or using a DOUBLE EMBOUCHURE ?
Any opinions???

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Berg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
HOUSTON NONET said:
Thought he used a Link HR

He used, at various times, Brilhart, Berg, Link.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I always thought Getz's embouchure looked lke a clarinet player with his bottom lip tucked in. It definitely doesn't look like a "double-lip". His chirping never bothered me, it just seemed like part of his style, like Miles" "fluffed" notes.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is one great player-- a TRUE natural musician.
But the chirping bugs me.

Check out the close-ups. When he plays he looks like Gabby Hayes ( or you youngster-- Gabby was a great Western character actor that got his big break when he had his dentist pull out the rest of his teeth for an auditoin so he looked older-- whoa-- no pain no gain)

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
My guess is that Getz was the type of player who just slapped on a reed and went to to town. I'd vote for the dry, warped, cracked reed option. Either way, still a hell of a player, right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I always get a sense of relief and empathetic camaraderie when I hear a pro chirp on a recording. Bird and 50's Sonny come to mind, also James Clay in "Wide Open Spaces". I'm guessing it's a reed thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Art Pepper chirped a lot. If the player is truly talented, who cares about chirps?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I always find these ones odd. People usually say "reed problems" but it seems strange to have not warmed a reed up b4 performance and feel happy with it. M/p? Again, it's odd for a pro to be using a m/p he must have played a lot, knowing all the time that it has a real tendency to squeak on him. I think myself that there are particular combinations of notes where there is a tendency to squeak if the sax has gone out of adjustment. A repair tech could probably confirm or deny that theory.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
My general understanding is that a lot of these guys spent most of their time before a gig doing other things rather than prepping their reeds. I notice it a lot on the earliest parts of a recording myself (especially live).

·
Banned
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
retread said:
Art Pepper chirped a lot. If the player is truly talented, who cares about chirps?
Excellent point:!:

There was a great bebop alto player here in Houston -the late Jimmy Ford-A/K? "The White Bird" who played on a Brilhart Level Aire mpc and had his fair share of chirps. But this was one of the greatest bebop alto players ever. Carried his horns in paper sack used rubber bands on the keys and played with a burning cigarette between the fingers of his right hand. I would have loved to have beebn able to "chrp" like this great alto player.:!:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I play in a little big band, here on the island. The leader is a West Coast trumpet player (retired), who played with many of the name brand big bands.

He hates it when players warm up before rehearsals or gigs. I've never seen/heard him warm up in two years of playing with the band.

Maybe that's why Getz chirps--he just warms up on the bandstand.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Somebody posted the following on another thread. I can't vouch for the truth of it, but here it is:

I understand from a reliable source, that Getz use to practice without his horn, as he felt it got in the way. A friend of mine said he use to go over Stans house, and Stan would be there lying down on the sofa with his eyes closed, moving his fingers and breathing like he was playing...and he didnt like to be bothered while he was practicing. My friend asked Stans wife what he was doing the first time he saw this, and she said thats how he likes to practice...the horn gets in the way so he doesnt need to practice with it.
He would be lying there and breathing like he was blowing into a horn and moving his fingers all around, and when it came time to play the actual sax, he was mentally already there. He had perfect pitch so he knew when he was making a mistake.
Visualization is key in many sports, and Getz was onto this concept.
...and as you notice, the horn never seemed to get in his way----- ever!

Errr -- except maybe when a "chirp" crept in there? Maybe it was a form of snoring!

·
Banned
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reedsplinter said:
Somebody posted the following on another thread. I can't vouch for the truth of it, but here it is:

I understand from a reliable source, that Getz use to practice without his horn, as he felt it got in the way. A friend of mine said he use to go over Stans house, and Stan would be there lying down on the sofa with his eyes closed, moving his fingers and breathing like he was playing...and he didnt like to be bothered while he was practicing. My friend asked Stans wife what he was doing the first time he saw this, and she said thats how he likes to practice...the horn gets in the way so he doesnt need to practice with it.
He would be lying there and breathing like he was blowing into a horn and moving his fingers all around, and when it came time to play the actual sax, he was mentally already there. He had perfect pitch so he knew when he was making a mistake.
Visualization is key in many sports, and Getz was onto this concept.
...and as you notice, the horn never seemed to get in his way----- ever!

Errr -- except maybe when a "chirp" crept in there? Maybe it was a form of snoring!
very interesting info-- never heard that before

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I'm always a little leary of the "perfect pitch" stories, but a lot of us do have "relative pitch" from years of listening and playing. Getz did play some standards in non-standard keys (Emily and Autumn Leaves come to mind) and recorded a blues where he went through all twelve keys effortlessly. I think he probably had his hands busy doing other things. The late guitarist Jimmy Raney told me one time that they picked up Getz at jail in NY and he demanded that they stopped to score before they went on their trip to play in Philadelphia. At this time Getz was a "marked man" well known by the police for his drug use. Jimmy told me the guys in the car were freaking out because Getz was shooting up while they were driving through the Lincoln Tunnel out of town.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
That story I posted is, as I said, entirely hearsay from my point of view. As a concept it's interesting; as truth, who knows?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
It certainly would be a good way to keep people from bugging you when you were laying around daydreaming.

"What are you doing hak'?" Ms. hak' asks when she sees him laying on the couch wiggling his fingers.

"I'm practicing my horn, leave me alone", he replies.

"Are you trying to BS me again? You never do anything around here, always on the computer, never clean the house, or do the weed whacking, lazy a**..."

Nope, wouldn't work for me.;):D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts