Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey guys, I really appreciate this. I should be able to do it w/o sheet music. This is super helpful.

There is not much culturally going on here so I think I could get some traction. I would really love to hear your stories about your first gigs like this. Can you remember that far back? Hahahaha.

Happy new year and I look forward to reading more here!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
When I started playing the only canned accompaniment was cheesy rhythm box (boom tish, boom tish). Piano and guitar player/singers in hotel and restaurant lounges used them to their detriment. It was awful.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
I used to play with a guitar player in a trio at a restaurant gig. I had to tell him to take at least two choruses on a tune after he’d just play one. I know hundreds of standards but 25 tunes a set I was getting more tired of calling tunes than playing.
I suggest if possible to get a pianist or guitar player. It’s much more appealing than hearing a guy noodling and fudging around with tracks. Personally, I find that the most annoying form of music.
I’ll tell you one thing that happens when you start booking these kind of gigs is if you do them long enough at a place don’t be surprised if the ASCAP/BMI people send a letter to management. I’ve had it happen three times where I’ve lost gigs because they were going to sue the restaurant. One I miss because they would feed us and they had great sushi.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,671 Posts
I'll tell you one thing that happens when you start booking these kind of gigs is if you do them long enough at a place don't be surprised if the ASCAP/BMI people send a letter to management. I've had it happen three times where I've lost gigs because they were going to sue the restaurant. One I miss because they would feed us and they had great sushi.
That's where having your own contrafacts really helps out!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Pay tribute to the cows and stick with Grateful Dead, you only need one song and even that one's going to be too much :cool:

Seriously like some others already pointed out, it's a steak house, and people want to eat and talk, so keep it as simple as possible. Never hurts to throw in a bit of Cyndi Lauper and Tom Petty and maybe a dash of Margaritaville and possibly Ain't no Sunshine. Those four could be your backbone and the rest is reacting to the audience. Once they throw tomatoes, you know you are doing something wrong.
But believe it or not, doing Kenny G's Coming Home or whatever it is called always works, it's a matter of whether you dare.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
personally, I'd use this opportunity to really practice soloing close to melodies. that's something really hard for me to do. I tend to solo following chord changes instead. sounds like a fun project!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,593 Posts
Good comments here. Be prepared for clubs and restaurants that have not paid any licensing fees. They will ask you to play Only Originals. In that case you can play any song but don’t do the melody. You can play long tones or whatever try to do Some thing that sounds like a melody…… Maybe even write some alternative melodies. If it’s one chord per bar then you can read the chart but play that bar backwards. That’s always a fun game to play
but most importantly don’t tell the management what you’re doing.... it’s TMI. Just tell them you’re doing Originals that sound like standards😉

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts

21 - 30 of 30 Posts