Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that many of famous tenor men sounded like Dexter Gordon early in their career...Trane, Getz, etc. I've also heard that alot of new tenor players sound like Dex before developing their own sound. ...I know I did. Is this a coincidence, or is the Dex sound the "natural" tenor sound?

So, ho many of you sounded somewhat like Dex when beginning tenor?

Just a thought...

David

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Well I have been playing tenor for just a few short months, but I would like to say I sound more like Trane as far as tone quality, however I played alto for 15 years and I was trying to sound like Paul Desmond with Cannonball's fingers.I have to say....I has the Desmond part of that equation. But ultimately, I thin I sound more like Trane than Dex.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nefertiti said:
I've never heard or met anyone that sounded like Dex. I don't know what circles you travel in?
When referring to "Dex's sound" I don't mean an exact clone -- just a similar tone quality -- strong, full, etc. As far as professional players, I think Trane sounded a lot like Dex in the early part of his career. Listen to "Bahia" and "I'll Get By". In fact I think he sounded a lot like Dexter THROUGHOUT his career, in my opinion, albeit a more bright, centered version... Also, Getz, in his very early stage, e.g. around '46, sounded VERY much like Dexter to me...this is all my opinion, however.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
It depends on what your definition of "sounds like" is.

I've seen Dexter Gordon live and listened to his music since I was in high school (a LONG time) and I guarantee you, you didn't ever sound like him and no else has either....by my definition, anyway. Has he influenced thousands of sax players? Absolutely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
All these guys came out of the Lester Young influence, so Dexter sounded like a darker fuller Lester when he first came on the scene. Getz idolized Lester as well. Trane was heavily influenced by Gordon and Sonny Stitt, but moved off from them.

As far as the Dex sound showing up in our playing. He's the reason I switched from the alto to the tenor. Tried for years to sound like him.......can't be done, at least not by me. I've never personally ran into anyone that had that kind of huge sound. As far as running into lots of players these days that take Dexter's approach. He's obviously an excellent place to start transcribing as his solos aren't nearly as complicated to figure out, but his sense of rhythm is a whole other matter.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
sinkdraiN said:
Dex!??? Now way...when I first started out I sounded like the duck from the Aflac commercial.
It doesn't happen often, but every now and then somebody says something here that makes me spit coffee all over my keyboard. Thanks for the laugh, but now I need another new keyboard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Maybe. What did Dex sound like when he started on tenor?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
DTExpress said:
played a little behind the beat eh?
One night, the drummer for the blues band I was in 15 years ago walked up to me at the end of a long drunken gig in Billerica. I think it was at the "New" Lakeside cafe.

He queried: "Why did it seem that you were playing a different song,........with a different band,........in a different room tonight duing the last set?"

I replied: "I beg your pardon, what did you say?"

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sound like Dexter... Dexter Gordon??, Long Tall?? Get out of here

·
Registered
73 Posts
JL said:
It depends on what your definition of "sounds like" is.

I've seen Dexter Gordon live and listened to his music since I was in high school (a LONG time) and I guarantee you, you didn't ever sound like him and no else has either....by my definition, anyway. Has he influenced thousands of sax players? Absolutely.
AMEN!! Dex's sound is in a class by itself. The closest I have heard to him is Johnny Griffin. As far as sounding like Long Tall, I wish, I wish, I wish. The depth of sound, soulful sound he created is an icon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
sinkdraiN said:
Dex!??? Now way...when I first started out I sounded like the duck from the Aflac commercial.
That's pretty good in my book. When I started, well, imagine this bird, during hunting season, yelling AFLAC just as a load of double ought buck shot takes off his tail feathers! :shock: :help:

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yes, I can sound like Dexter Gordon. Here:

" I hope, Lady Francis, that we live long enough to see an avenue named after Charlie Parker, a Lester Young Park, a Duke Ellington Square. And even, a street named Dale Turner."

How'd I do? :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
sinkdraiN said:
Geez, that's the sound I've been striving for.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts