Sax on the Web Forum banner

How many instruments do you have unpacked and ready to play (except maybe for reeds)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not another "how many do you own" thread. Rather, it is a question of how many instruments you have unpacked and in roughly playing condition right now. If you use cane reeds, you are welcome to count instruments that need to be fitted with reeds but are otherwise ready to go. Also this is not limited to saxophones or even woodwinds. If you own a piano and the keyboard cover is unlocked, that counts as one. If you have a guitar ready to go but the amp is off, that counts as well (saving power is good).

Right now the list of what I have out and playable is:
  • clarinet
  • flute
  • soprano sax
  • alto sax
  • C-mel sax
  • tenor sax
  • bari sax
Technically my acoustic guitar and electric bass count because I do not own cases for them, but they are in a closed closet and most likely both need tuning.

Parts horns, and anything you might have on the repair bench, do not count.

Even if you consider the current situation exceptional (you normally have more, or less), go with what you have now. I figure it will even itself out across all voters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Yet another poll. What's your point?

I have 4 instruments of my own sitting on stands ready to blow and 3 more that I'll get back to repairing after this short break.

How many am I gonna play between this evening and tomorrows practice? None. So it really makes no difference.

Some dude that works in Roberto's is gonna win this poll hands down anyway.

·
2,870 Posts
3 but that includes a piano

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Got to bed at 1.30am after playing at a Christmas party at a welding workshop, and then this afternoon (by way of contrast) played at a concert band & choral concert in the presence of His Excellency the Governor - so right now they are all safely tucked away in their cases, and they can stay that way until tomorrow.

·
2,833 Posts
A quite a few they are all playable, and all work has been done on them,

Flute
Bb clarinet
Alto clarinet
Bass clarinet
Soprano sax
Two alto saxophones
Two tenor saxophones
Baritone sax

So thats ten!! lol,enough to think about ,but more importantly enough to have fun with..too much really but thats me!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
L-R...
Stratocaster
Electric 12 string
Tenor Sax
Alto Sax
EWI
Sop sax
Clarinet
Keyboard

They tend to rotate a bit according to what project's happening or what I need to take a break from.

·
14,959 Posts
Oops, forgot about the bass behind the shelves.

Make mine a 2.

Aw crap, make it 3, forgot about my talking drum on the shelves of music.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
My alto and tenor. Will be playing alto at a gig later today.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Today it's just my Buescher alto and my old metal clarinet. My sop. usually stays unpacked too but I just performed with it this morning and I have orchestra practice this evening so it will probably stay in case today until needed again.

Oh, I've also got a 1912 Buescher (Art Music Co.) "pea shooter" trumpet sitting here on a sop. sax peg. If I stuck a mouthpiece on it, I could play it. But with all the saxes, why would I want to blow a trumpet? ;)

And by the way, I did an inventory and wrote down serial numbers this week. Between my wife, two kids and I, we own 14 playable instruments, plus 3 saxes getting or needing repair and 1 new Chinese-made flute that has never been played. I think I need to open a music store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My keyboard is at my grandparents' with my Soprano, my alto is at school, my flute is at my mom's and broken, and my guitar is also at my mom's, in its case, and out of tune because it hasn't been played in 5 years or so.

Regardless, my instruments are always packed away in their cases when not being played. I don't like leaving them out where they can get dust from the air or my grandmother's obsessive furniture-polishing on them (it was bad enough getting Pledge off my aluminum computer chassis) or where anyone and their mother could pick it up, and I have plenty of younger siblings that love breaking expensive things when they're angry. Not to mention if the house were to burn down I can just grab a couple handles and run without worrying about damaging my instruments.

G

·
soprano sax
alto sax
2 tenors (I play my Yamaha Custom-Z and I am trying to sell my YTS-52 so i have been taking pictures of it.)
Keyboard
Electric guitar
Acoustic guitar

·
Registered
270 Posts
1 tenor

1 alto

and

1 trombone that I am trying to learn

1 - 20 of 29 Posts