Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting question asked by a club recently,” how long will you play for $100?”

In my mind I thought I’ll probably not get off my couch for $100.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Has "club pay" ever been good? I don't recall it ever being good since I started gigging in the early 80s.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Depends upon whether you have to split that 4 ways or you get to keep the whole $100 yourself.

Reactions: Sacks Of Phones

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Depends on the group as well. With the jazz quintet we usually book $50/man the first hour and $25 for every hour after that. This helps cover some travel, load-in, and setup time. With the funk band (usually 11 piece) I've done tons of 4 hour bar gigs for $50/man but we almost treat these like paid rehearsals for weddings and other better paying events.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,756 Posts
Interesting question asked by a club recently," how long will you play for $100?"

In my mind I thought I'll probably not get off my couch for $100.
Do you have a following on social media that may draw more customers, or is this a wallpaper gig?

"Every performance is an audition for your next gig."

·
Registered
703 Posts
This actually brings up other interesting questions related to covid and all the club closures. How many will open again? How many will be able to pay for live music? And, ultimately - will musicians take a cut in pay to get out and play live again?

Now I get it if you are trying to make a living at music. If you were getting X? two years ago to play a 3 set, 3 hour booking at a club, would you wait until you get offered that again? Basically, what I'm getting at is that the clubs that do reopen might not be in the business of booking live music again for maybe a year or two or maybe never!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Well, so far, at least here in the Denver area we've seem to have both fewer clubs booking as well as fewer bands playing. Getting bands back together after over a year off is no easy task and rehearsal space is also an issue. My concern right now is that we have 6-7 summer gigs booked and our drummer refuses to get vaccinated. If it turns out that clubs and venues won't allow people in without proof of vaccination we're going to have issues.

·
Registered
161 Posts
$100 and a carton of beer per band member is what we charge our friends to play at their birthday parties in their own houses, and we have done 3hr gigs at pubs for that, but it depends if we really want the gig, ideally you'd get double that if not more. Those prices were set in the early nineties though, when $400 a week was an average wage, it should be much more now really. We learned early on that if free drinks are offered, get them as takeaway and pay for drinks at the gig (try for free soft drinks though!). Trying to drink your pay at the gig often doesn't work out that well! Another thing that might apply, here pubs and clubs can't sell takeaway drinks after midnight, and we've had some trouble with getting our drinks to take home after the gig. You need to get some type of receipt before midnight and put it on your drinks so that they are your property, but in the establishments' fridge. This satisfies the police here, and we have had a few checks in regards to that. The other option is just to put them in the car or van before midnight of course, but if they're yours, just being kept cold in the fridge, you can drink them after the pub is closed and the licenced period is over as no transaction has taken place to violate the licence conditions. Nothing worse than finishing a gig and being refused a drink, and not being allowed to take any bottles/cans with you, even though they're part of your pay.

Anyway, three 45 minute sets over three hours is usual, with maybe a shorter encore set thrown in if warranted. For an amateur or semi-professional/semi-retired musician, $100 per person might be acceptable, but I'd try for free soft drinks and some takeaway alcohol too. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,613 Posts
love the above post! esp the put the last call drink in the car for the drive home

1 - 12 of 12 Posts