Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're seeing lots of new finishing options these days, far beyond the lacquered brass that used to be one of the few choices we had.

I have a P. Mauriat alto with (I believe) and antiqued bronze finish, or something like that.

I'm curious...how long can we expect these newer finishes to last, assuming good care? (Yeah, I'm one of those people who likes a nice-looking horn...)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Unless I am completely mistaken, the antiqued bronze finish is an artificially built layer of patina.

If you don't polish it off it should last a long time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
We're seeing lots of new finishing options these days, far beyond the lacquered brass that used to be one of the few choices we had.

I have a P. Mauriat alto with (I believe) and antiqued bronze finish, or something like that.

I'm curious...how long can we expect these newer finishes to last, assuming good care? (Yeah, I'm one of those people who likes a nice-looking horn...)
Eh, you know the finish will last as long as these cheap Taiwanese horns don't you? :twisted: At least a couple more years! :bluewink:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh crap! My Mauriat is unlaquored. I have to clean it to get stuff off of it. But if it had laquor... oh crud.

Maybe it will be like a star. The exterior will eventually get brighter while the guts begin to tear themselves asunder and it'll expand until it's a tenor and then implode on itself.

I hope I'm not on stage what that happens..

Harv

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless I am completely mistaken, the antiqued bronze finish is an artificially built layer of patina.
mmmm....not sure. Here are photos:
http://www.saxquest.com/popPhotoVie...e+Finish+PMSA-2302+Alto+Saxophone&PhotoNum=21

It seems more like a coating/finish than an artificial layer. The good news is that after two or three years of ownership, it still looks brand new. The bad news is that's because it probably has less than 5 hours of playing time on it due to various reasons unrelated to the horn itself (surgeries, playing tenor instead of alto in community band, working too many hours, not practicing enough...yadda yadda yadda...)

·
6,831 Posts
The advantage of the Cannonball Brute finish is that it is guaranteed to never get any uglier than the day you bought it. :bluewink:

Wow. That is different! Kinda looks burnt or like wood. Unique, I'll give it that!

·
6,831 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Brute finish reminds me of those bamboo saxes but with dark stain. I have a 2 year old Bare Brass T.K. and it gets played 4-5 nights a week live and its getting really ugly especially around the upper stack and the low D and C# where it is turning brown like that brute.

Good thing about bare brass is I could at any time remove the keys, polish it and have a brand new looking horn.

B

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The advantage of the Cannonball Brute finish is that it is guaranteed to never get any uglier than the day you bought it. :bluewink:

Now there's the truth....

·
6,831 Posts
Nothing funny about cancer my friend. :(
Came out wrong. I eat my feet all the time w/awful analogies. I'm no politician, and I'm no public relations personality! Sorry for any offense.

There are two "funnies" in this awful language of ours anyway: "HaHa" funny, and "ironic" 'funny' (which is rarely "haha", and almost always queesy, like a nervous laugh, which I also do at inappropriate times, but can't help).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts

If a coloured finish is just a patina, as opposed to a lacquer, I believe it will scratch very easily, showing shiny brass on the scratches which won't look very nice.

At the Frankfurt show I was at the BW stand when Ernie Watts was checking out their horns, they had one with that dull brown patina, and another one with the same colour but lacquered. I called them the "****" and the "polished ****". Ernie liked the polished ****, whilst I preferred the ****.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
At the Frankfurt show I was at the BW stand when Ernie Watts was checking out their horns, they had one with that dull brown patina, and another one with the same colour but lacquered. I called them the "****" and the "polished ****". Ernie liked the polished ****, whilst I preferred the ****.
I don't know about these new "****" finishes, but I'm still rather partial to a nice shiny gold horn myself...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

i think if i forget this near my dog he will barry that thing :lick:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
One of the guys in the sax program at my old school had a Mauriat with a similar finish-the dark lacquer one. It doesn't last. It's similar to Selmer's "brushed" finish in terms of durability and longevity.

He's had it for five or six years, now, and the lacquer is worn down to the bare brass at all of the regular touch points, including the neck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts