Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really appreciate others input on their take. For reference use 60 bpm

For me at the moment long tone is two tied whole notes.

What would the minimum length for a useful long tone be???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,900 Posts
I do them @ 60 BPM

6 counts from pp to ff, 6 counts from ff to pp... so 12 counts per note

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just hold them out as long as I can. This helps increase lung capacity and evenness of air flow. I think it's good to practice keeping a solid tone until you're completely out of air. Comes in handy when you're trying to finish that extra long phrase and you're out of breath!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,678 Posts
http://www.timpricejazz.com/lessons/longtones.pdf

FWIW, I enjoy playing ballads such as Wayne Shorter's "Infant Eyes" and listening to my shadow tones in that context.

I don't think long tones count for much unless you are listening and engaged. It's as much for the ears and mind as it is for the more physical aspects. Exercise also your dynamics and consider playing the full range of the horn without using the octave key. There are many other variations, of course.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like to mix it up a bit. Long tones on scales; long tones on chords; long tones on altering between octave - non octave; long tones switching octaves without the octave key. Usually just one approach for the day. But it keeps me interested - plus I always start my day with long tones to warm up myself and my horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts