Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
I've been playing about 6 weeks and I'm happy with my progress so far. there are a lot of post on this forum that recommend blowing long notes but how long should you blow them for. i can make a low( i think ) G talk for 45 seconds is this any good. is it too long should i stop at maybe 30secs or maybe build up to a minute. how long can other people including pro's hold a note for. iam 40 years old and loving playing sax, i have played guitar in bands for 26 years. your responses will be appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Ok...first up, you'll find a little button down on the bottom right of your post called "EDIT." Use the edit function to change the title of this thread before Marty and Gary and Hakukani etc, see it. Otherwise your thread is gonna get sidetracked with bad "Hoff" pics and Linda Lovelace references.

In answer to your question, if somebody else is supplying the colombian marching powder and the party is really happening, I'll blow 'till my nose bleeds and the pschycosis starts. But seriously, it's totally irrellevant. How long you can "blow" for is a) dependant on your setup and b) missing the whole point of Long Tones.

Now go change that title.

·
Registered
121 Posts
lol @ the title of the thread.
practicing playing tones as long as you can is good i think, but it is definitely irrelevant how it compares to other people. the only thing to aim for is to improve YOUR time. as far as long tones go though, it's much more important to focus on creating a perfectly steady unwavering tone at every range/dynamic.....not nearly as easy as it initially seems...

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Dog Pants said:
Ok...first up, you'll find a little button down on the bottom right of your post called "EDIT." Use the edit function to change the title of this thread before Marty and Gary and Hakukani etc, see it.

Why? I think it's a fine title. It may already be used for something else, however.

·
Registered
358 Posts
There's nothing wrong with this thread's title, it's just YOUR sick mind!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Granted that DP has a sick mind. But I like him anyway.

...and he's right. It doesn't matter how long you hold the note, it's how that note sounds.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
I don't know, with a thread like this one and another called "vibrato techniques" both posted on the same day...it must be getting hot out there! :) It's 90 degrees where I am. ;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Carl H. said:
There's a french horn joke in here somewhere.:D
That would be 'How long can you blow a wrong/split note'.;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
valleyboy said:
i can make a low( i think ) G talk for 45 seconds is this any good.
That's probably pretty good, if nothing else because a lot of people probably can't even hold their breath for 45 seconds.

But it's all relative.

I've been playing since Christmas and I may be able to do 45 seconds with my Selmer C* and a #2 reed. If I slap a #2.5 or #3 reed on the time goes way down. Switch to my Meyer 6M mouthpiece with a #2 reed and time is probably half of what I coud do with the Selmer C*. Slap a #3 on my Meyer and I'm probably fighting to get 10 or 15 seconds.

valleyboy said:
how long can other people including pro's hold a note for.
As Dog Pants suggested, you may be missing the point of long tones. The purpose of practicing long tones has virtually nothing to do with wanting to be able to hold a note longer. If you think the purpose does have something to do with that, do a search on SoW for more info.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Gee! I needed the laugh! It was a long day, not very cheerful for the most part and when you see a title like this you car really relax and blow (!!!!!!) off the steam! Don't blow it up! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
Length is not a big deal without taking equipment in to consideration. (Easy guys!)

Back during the first gulf war, a buddy of mine got called to active duty so I filled in for him on bari. I had been sitting in the clarinet section so people weren't expecting much. It turns out the setup he had been playing (he loaned it to me) used about 1/3 the air I was putting into my clarinet. People were astonished when I played extended solo phrases in one breath. It was not a big deal to me as the Bari was SO much easier to blow than the clarinet.

It doesn't take much to impress some people.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Carl H. said:
Length is not a big deal without taking equipment in to consideration. (Easy guys!)It doesn't take much to impress some people.
Yes it is not the size of your horn, is what you do with it though!:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
milandro said:
Yes it is not the size of your horn, is what you do with it though!:twisted:
Are you saying that size doesn't matter? Wrong!!!:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
Bari is so small in comparison to what I'm packin around!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yea, yea, yea blowing means different things to different people. LOL 6 weeks, huh? Take it easy on yourself and count to four from the time you attack the note until you release the note. Remember that a clean release is just as important as a clean attack. This might not happen right away but give yourself time to improve by working on it for awhile. Don't be discouraged if you sound like a dying cow. :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Carl H. said:
Bari is so small in comparison to what I'm packin around!

Shoulda wore my boots, it's gettin' deep in here.:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts