Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started playing over two years ago. I play 10-12 hours a week. I've been playing a 2 1/2 Marca reed on my soprano for what's got to be at least 3 months. It sounds as good now as it did initially.

Is this totally weird or can a cane reed last this long? I'm doing absolutely nothing to preserve it. (If it makes any difference, the mp is a Super Sessions E and the horn is a Selmer Serie III.) Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Until it dies. :cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I had these two Vandoren #3 alto reeds that lasted a year once; I eventually threw them away because I got bored and wanted new reeds.

·
6,395 Posts
If you have an 4 hour gig, it usually craps out during the second tune. That's why I try to keep at least 4 decent reeds in rotation in my reed holder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Some reeds can seemingly sound and play well for a long time. Still I think they loose something after a couple or few days. Some richness or depth. So I always like to use a fresh reed. I very rarely will play on a reed for more than a week.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
saxmanglen said:
If you have an 4 hour gig, it usually craps out during the second tune. That's why I try to keep at least 4 decent reeds in rotation in my reed holder.
I always kept 8 going at a time until I had problems with all the reeds in my case going moldy(full-on long hairy white fuzz. Nasty.). This has happened several times, so until I've got a reed storage system worked out where this won't happen I'm only keeping 3 in rotation. (Of course these were baritone reeds, so it's very expensive and frustrating.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your replies. Here's what I'm considering the take-home message to be: the life of a reed is EXTREMELY variable. Thanks again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It also depends on you slap playing!

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's no wonder most people I know abandon sax in favor of piano or an instrument that requires doesn' require such high maintenance. Reeds cost a lot!

·
Registered
957 Posts
And when the move, the cost for moving the piano is the one for 2,357 reed boxes!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
My experience is that reeds last longer and play better when they are rotated, and you polish the backs of the reeds to help seal the fibers. See my post in this link for the technique. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=58693&highlight=polish+reeds

It is also true that reeds played day after day go soft faster than reeds that are rotated, and that the player who always uses the same reed usually doesn't notice because the change is so gradual. The best way to keep the muscle tone up in the embouchure is to rotate your reeds.

John

·
6,395 Posts
I was always told if you slap too much you'll go blind....:shock:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
saxmanglen said:
I was always told if you slap too much you'll go blind....:shock:
I, through years of extensive research, have proved that wrong. Oh.... slaptonguing? That won't make you blind either.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wailin' said:
It's no wonder most people I know abandon sax in favor of piano or an instrument that requires doesn' require such high maintenance. Reeds cost a lot!
The least a piano needs tuning is usually once a year. The cost is more than the cost of reeds, no matter how many reeds you go through.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts