Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on here that practicing long notes will help improve all aspects of your playing, but how long do you try and hold the note, until you turn red in the face and run out of breath. How long can you play a note, 1 min, 2 min.

Tony

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well Kenny G held a note for...:twisted:

Tony, usually you see this referred to as a tone-building exercise. In that case you would normally hold it out for as long as you can maintain a good, pure sound. You can do this at all volume levels as well as playing a note with a large crescendo or decrescendo. Concentrate on the purity and quality of the sound and maintain the same pitch throughout the duration.

A variation has more to do with developing wind endurance, and that is to hold a note out as long as possible and squeezing your abdominal muscles out as you exhale that last puff of air (as your abs tremble).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Tony, 2 mins is nothing, you should aiming for 20mins at least!

...only kidding ;)

this link might give you an answer to you question and at the same time introduce you to just how much of a complete waste of time this forum can be :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I agree with what Gary is saying. My long tones last anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute and I'm working on longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts