Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question I guess but I am still learning on what can or cannot be adjusted so bear with me. :baby:

Is there anything in the keyworks of a Barone Vintage that limit how light its actions can be set at compared to relative to a Cannonball for exemple? Can all all horn be setup to the same lightnesn?

I am asking because I tried a Cannonbal BBSS last weekend and while I prefer the tone of the Barone Vintage I really liked the lighter action of the Cannonball. I haven't spent much time with either yet and I am shopping to get a tenor this summer.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
The way to lighten a horn is to re-set the spring tension and any qualified tech can do that for you. You want to make sure that the keys that are in the closed position during rest are tight because you can literally blow them open if you set them too light, especially low D#, low C# and the side keys.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yes, spring adjustment can be set to light if that is your preference. I prefer a very snappy, fast action with a heavy spring tension.

Les Arbuckle setup my Barone Vintage Tenor recently doing this & also used heat-hardened Ultra-Suede on in place of many of the buffer corks. This firmed up the action alot and it now feels better than ever. I also have Saxgourmet RooPads, which are very firm under the fingers.

I guess I am all about firm. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way to lighten a horn is to re-set the spring tension and any qualified tech can do that for you. You want to make sure that the keys that are in the closed position during rest are tight because you can literally blow them open if you set them too light, especially low D#, low C# and the side keys.
In that respect all keyworks are equals? All can be as light as one another or are some that requires a higher minimal tension to work?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, spring adjustment can be set to light if that is your preference. I prefer a very snappy, fast action with a heavy spring tension.

Les Arbuckle setup my Barone Vintage Tenor recently doing this & also used heat-hardened Ultra-Suede on in place of many of the buffer corks. This firmed up the action and it now plays better than ever. I also have Saxgourmet RooPads, which are very firm under the fingers.

I guess I am all about firm. :)
Lol you are a firm believer ;)

Now that I think of it, it is the G#/C#,B,Bb cluster that struck me as lighter and I guess this is mostly that cluster that I was enquiring about making very light.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
In that respect all keyworks are equals? All can be as light as one another or are some that requires a higher minimal tension to work?
The upper and lower stack keys work in "tandem" with one another.

If your tension is too light you are more likely to have a problem with sticky pads.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Lol you are a firm believer ;)

Now that I think of it, it is the G#/C#,B,Bb cluster that struck me as lighter and I guess this is mostly that cluster that I was enquiring about making very light.
Funny b/c even my left pinky cluster keys' tension is extremly firm b/c I have extra springs on G# & C# to prevent sticking. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The upper and lower stack keys work in "tandem" with one another.

If your tension is too light you are more likely to have a problem with sticky pads.
I understand, but I was asking if keyworks for Barone, Cannonbal, Yamaha etc were all comparable in their "minimal" tension. My YAS-23 suffer from sticky pads so I'd like to get away from this. My question was too hastily formulated it is mostly the left pinky platform that I was wondering how light it can be set. I guess you could say I have a weak pinky :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny b/c even my left pinky cluster keys' tension is extremly firm b/c I have extra springs on G# & C# to prevent sticking. :mrgreen:
Lol our replies keeps crossing. Up to very recently I didn't care that much for the left pinky cluster. But I got partition sheet for Harlem Nocturne that calls for a Db, Bb, Db and I realize I have a weakly pinky :p

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,324 Posts
The tension of the most of the keys on any horn should be capable of being made as light as you want. Exceptions might be when there are different designs in specific areas, such as the pinky cluster or octave mechanism. (or low A if a horn has that). These are areas that are a bit more complex and some mechanisms seem to allow more lightness than others, however a good tech should still be able to get them as light as you want. But wherever you get various springs working in tandem, it needs extra attention in balancing. I'm not a tech, this is just info I have gleaned form technicians over the years. I'm happy to be corrected.

Having said all that, if you like a really light action because you have a really light touch on the keys, the type of pad fitted and the levelness of the pads to the toneholes can have an impact. e.g. very hard pads need to be exceptionally well fitted and levelled or you need a heavier touch to get them closing properly, whereas softer pads can be more "forgiving" of slight leaks due top uneven toneholes or keycups and so you can get away with a lighter touch. Of course, this situation is not ideal, the pad/keycup and tonehole should always be true.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Hi All, first post so please forgive any dumbness.

In my experience there arrises the question of using a larger spring, assuming needle springs, with less bend (pre-set spring deflection) or a smaller spring with more bend. Personally I like to fit the largest spring the key will accomodate with the smallest deflection. Thoughts?

Sig

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi All, first post so please forgive any dumbness.

In my experience there arrises the question of using a larger spring, assuming needle springs, with less bend (pre-set spring deflection) or a smaller spring with more bend. Personally I like to fit the largest spring the key will accomodate with the smallest deflection. Thoughts?

Sig
Welcome to SOTW! You might reconsider posting this in the Tech forum (or mods might consider re-locating this whole thread, since the topic is germane to all saxes), where our resident technicians (IMO the most useful members of this forum) could answer this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts