Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I am an altoist, I look for my tenor friends here.

When you are playing in your gigs, how high do you usually go? Folks around here, on tenor, may sometime reach D4 (E for guitars).

As an altoist, I do no get invited very often to play Rock, but I try to go.

Junior Walker is my natural reference for Tenor altissimo (lets keep Lenny beside now) with his Ab4 at Foreigner's Urgent.

Is it common for you (tenor) guys to hit those G4's and Ab4's?

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
684 Posts
I play rock and blues stuff several times a week on tenor and my altissimo.......s*cks! I'm lucky to hit A3 on a good night. Wish I could do better but that's it for now. Thing is I still have plenty of gigs even so...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Depending on who the player is, there really is no limit.

Top players can play around up there in the altissimo as
easily as in the normal range.

For a beginner or intermediate however, a few carefully
placed A3's, C4 and D4, maybe an F4, will get you by.

The main thing to work on is how and when you play these notes.

You can play a really effective rock solo with just one good
choice altissimo note in there.

Leave it towards the end of the solo perhaps. maybe even the note to
finish on. Hit it hard and wail the crap out of it. Peel the paint
off the wall. That will have more effect than trying to play
a whole solo up there. Don't try and be too busy with
these notes.

Junior Walker is a good example. He only hits a couple of
choice high notes here and there.

For most players, I feel that tenor covers the rock
bag more easily than alto. Generally speaking.

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Tenor is more Rock oriented too...

My alto mouthpiece helps, it is a Jumbo Java A45 and with Plasticovers it helps me to produce more armonics, so my alto sound at Rock is somehow respectable.

F4 is a very high note, in alto no beginner or intermediate may be able to play it. I don't know on tenor. I think it is a tough one.

Of course, when we talk about playing a note, we mean playing a note, not hitting a note.

·
1,936 Posts
I hit those all the time; and when I'm practiced up with a good reed----D5,F5 and I've hit a G5 before. I consistently go to A4 on most of the gigs I play esp when I play in F#minor. On Alto I can always hit an E4 up to a G4. On soprano I can hit an E4 but would never try that in a live setting, too risky and I don't practice soprano enough. You can play as high as you want if the tune allows it and it can be done tastefully.

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Junior Walker is a good example. He only hits a couple of
choice high notes here and there.

You name it! His solo at Foreigner's Urgent keeps me wondering all my life! What a great tenor solo. Ab4 there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm a new tenor player (as of a month and a bit). On alto (10 years), I can hit E4 but I don't often go there. I usually stay at or lower than around D4. On tenor so far I've been very comfortable up until D4, and am capable of getting to around G4, but my assy student mouthpiece doesn't currently help me out there.

I don't see significant use in getting all that much higher into ridiculously high bits, but if you can work it then go for it.

·
1,936 Posts
My band plays a version of Soulshine by the Allman bros band, it is in Cmaj/Amin on tenor and at certain times during the peaks of the tune I will play up to an A4, and usually end it on a C5. But I play in a loud rock-n-roll band and we "Saturday Night Live" it up at the end. The crowd loves it. I have to be very careful and tasteful how I do it or it comes off sounding like crap.

I am also a big fan of Junior Walker. I can play the Urgent solo when I'm practiced up but I can't get anyone in my band to sing it because it is so high and forceful, and my lead guitar player says his part is hard too.

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am also a big fan of Junior Walker. I can play the Urgent solo when I'm practiced up but I can't get anyone in my band to sing it because it is so high and forceful, and my lead guitar player says his part is hard too.[/QUOTE]

In alto that solo goes only up to D#4. It is not so hard there. For tenor, well...

What I can tell is that altoist do not reach for A4's or higher that often... only in some classical passages, but here it is blues and rock and roll...

All the best,

JI

·
6,862 Posts
MajinX said:
I'm a new tenor player (as of a month and a bit). On alto (10 years), I can hit E4 but I don't often go there. I usually stay at or lower than around D4. On tenor so far I've been very comfortable up until D4, and am capable of getting to around G4, but my assy student mouthpiece doesn't currently help me out there.

I don't see significant use in getting all that much higher into ridiculously high bits, but if you can work it then go for it.
Man, can I get a lesson next time I'm in TO? My highest altissimo note is still my only altissimo note: F#:(

Rory

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
michaelbaird said:
I hit those all the time; and when I'm practiced up with a good reed----D5,F5 and I've hit a G5 before. I consistently go to A4 on most of the gigs I play esp when I play in F#minor. On Alto I can always hit an E4 up to a G4. On soprano I can hit an E4 but would never try that in a live setting, too risky and I don't practice soprano enough. You can play as high as you want if the tune allows it and it can be done tastefully.
Really, the sky's the limit, but only in proper context. I stopped trying to figure out what note it is up there. When it's time to come out, it's there!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
:shock: Thought you meant something else with this thread... Oh well! I have only played up to a G3 during rock and roll solos on tenor (ok, the ONE solo I have done). Just didn't feel the need to go any higher, and anyways, thats abot as high as I can go (controlling the horn, and in tune).

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
zorroperro said:
Folks around here, on tenor, may sometime reach D4 (E for guitars).
Actually that would be a C on guitar. D4 is about the highest I go, at least on purpose. Sometimes I hit something higher, sort of like what martysax is refering to: I don't even know what it is, but if it comes out and sounds right I hang on it a bit. Overall, though, I find it extremely annoying when a sax player overdoes the altissimo bit (unless he's Lenny Picket, and even then......). A few well-placed high notes will be a lot more effective than a bunch of random squeaking. And don't do it on every single solo, please!

·
1,936 Posts
Altissimo can be overused. Did Dexter or Coltrane ever use it? I always thought Grover Washington was tasteful with his. Sometimes once you get up there it, it is hard to get down, and it's not good. I do practice tasteful altissimo, I don't want to sound like I had no direction for my solo.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
michaelbaird said:
Did Dexter or Coltrane ever use it?
Yes, definitely. They were good at making it 'just a part of the horn'.

·
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry...

JL said:
Actually that would be a C on guitar.

Woops! You're right! Sorry for that. And yes, D4 seems to be a very common range for many pros.

I use altissimo in every solo and even in any song... I like to play balads taking them to that range.

Take into consideration that if something is written in C for pianos, we altoist only find a couple of A's to hit C for pianos, so the altissimo has its course... and well, why not going on...

Alll the best,

JI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts