Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't tried them in a few years, anyone using ZZs now? I think I need a change from these Riggoti Golds to something with more edge and better subtone response...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Neither me nor my Teacher are too thrilled with the latest ZZ's (the ones with the printing in brown on the reed (instead of black like the older reeds))

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Haven't tried them in a few years, anyone using ZZs now? I think I need a change from these Riggoti Golds to something with more edge and better subtone response...
I used V16 for many years and never noticed any real change in quality. I still they are very good reeds. The ZZs were pretty good when I use them also, but I haven't done so lately.

Funny you mentioned Rigotti Gold because I switched to them a few months ago and am really liking them. I doubt you're find more edge in any other reed. Quite the contrary; the Rigotti seems to have more edge than other brands I've used. I get the best subtone response with Rico Jazz Select, but they don't have quite enough edge for my taste, and the Rigotti's will subtone once broken in.

I'm talking about tenor reeds.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Well when the red box Java's first came out they all were great.

The last 3 or 4 boxes have been pretty bad. 2 1/2 's feel like 4's and some reeds won't play altissimo.

Maybe they pay more attention to quality control in a new product.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I used V16 for many years and never noticed any real change in quality. I still they are very good reeds. The ZZs were pretty good when I use them also, but I haven't done so lately.

Funny you mentioned Rigotti Gold because I switched to them a few months ago and am really liking them. I doubt you're find more edge in any other reed. Quite the contrary; the Rigotti seems to have more edge than other brands I've used. I get the best subtone response with Rico Jazz Select, but they don't have quite enough edge for my taste, and the Rigotti's will subtone once broken in.

I'm talking about tenor reeds.
A friend plays Rigottis and really likes them.

This is all I need, another reed quest.

Now you've got me thinking.

·
23,006 Posts
A friend plays Rigottis and really likes them.

This is all I need, another reed quest.

Now you've got me thinking.
LOL, same thing happened to me. I played V16s forever with no issues, then finally gave the RJS a try, and yeah some of them played really well. Then went back to the V16, but just had to try those Rigotti's. I'm glad I did. What I like about them is they play well right out of the box. They get slightly better with some break in time, but don't need much. The V16 always need a couple of hours of play before they seem to 'get there.' Both V16 & Rigotti seem to play well longer and outlast other brands, at least for me.

Having said all that, I could use any of the 3 brands I just mentioned. But I'm sticking with the Rigotti's for now. I'd recommend you give them a try.

My point to saxmanjack is he probably could stick with the Rigotti's, but I'm well aware of the 'grass is greener' syndrome.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can I be cane crop related? Weather conditions may affect the reed quality. Has anyone tried growing their own cane in their backyard with miracle grow and optimum watering conditions? When I get a bad Reed I start wondering how that might work out....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talkin' tenor here, of course. Rigottis are great on the RPC, but I'm going back to the blues/rock thing and I want to stick with the FocusTone. Not that its too 'dark' - hell, I blow it like its a Berg anyway - just want to see if a reed change could help turn up the gain knob when I stomp on the overdrive!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Can I be cane crop related? Weather conditions may affect the reed quality. Has anyone tried growing their own cane in their backyard with miracle grow and optimum watering conditions? When I get a bad Reed I start wondering how that might work out....
The stuff ( cane ) grows around Los Angeles.

Yes i'm sure there are seasonal issues but I believe they harvest too soon and don't season the cane long enough in this instant age.

·
23,006 Posts
Talkin' tenor here, of course. Rigottis are great on the RPC, but I'm going back to the blues/rock thing and I want to stick with the FocusTone. Not that its too 'dark' - hell, I blow it like its a Berg anyway - just want to see if a reed change could help turn up the gain knob when I stomp on the overdrive!
Yeah, I use them on an RPC. I can't imagine a more powerful mpc than my high baffle 120 RPC. I also have one with a lower baffle (also a 120 tip) and it's darker but still powerful, just not as much edge. I don't know anything about a FocusTone, but I wouldn't want anything brighter or with more edge than the RPC, even for screaming R&B.

Going back to reeds, the Rigotti Golds are the brightest, punchiest reeds I've played. I always thought the V16s were, but the Rigottis have them beat in that category. You might try V16, but I doubt they, or anything else will give you more 'overdrive' than the Rigotti. I actually have to 'back off' a bit with the Rigotti reeds, at least on my RPC, to keep them from getting too bright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts