Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until about 3 months ago I had always found gigs by "pounding the pavement", knocking on doors and handing music to owners of various restaurants, bars, and other venues but during the last couple of years I noticed a huge decline in contacts calling me back for jobs, especially for jazz gigs.

I actually had given up on jazz gigs and formed a Classic Rock Band so I could put some bread on my table. However, even a "sure fire" project had problems getting booked on a regular basis.

In December 2010 I decided to give Facebook a chance to boost sales so to speak and now after only 3 months I am finding myself being sought out for gigs and getting return emails through FB almost every day for work or inquiries.

I am currently playing four times a week with two paying gigs a week and two add'l rehearsals a week keeping me a happy working musician. :)

Curious to know if it is working for other people on sotw.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Works really good for me also. I prefer to use Linkedin (boring but more serious) but FB is ok too.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking at using Linkedin as well but it is not yet highly used in my area. B

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I've resisted Facebook until now, but I'm starting to consider it.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I've resisted Facebook until now, but I'm starting to consider it.
Like you I resisted Facebook.But now, most of my "friends" are musicians and to a large extent it's how I keep abreast of what's going on. It's interesting that lots resist it too and are being left in the dark. "How did you know that?" they'll say. It's a good way of keeping in touch and knowing who is doing what.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Because of facebook, myspace music, and reverbnation my new band has gotten several offers from clubs and also interest from a number of jazz festivals. Next I need to put together an epk, and I'm thinking of using sonicbids for that. According to one club owner these sites really do work. I'm still not sure if a dedicated web site for the band is worth it, because the social media sites have the prime virtual storefront location.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because of facebook, myspace music, and reverbnation my new band has gotten several offers from clubs and also interest from a number of jazz festivals. Next I need to put together an epk, and I'm thinking of using sonicbids for that. According to one club owner these sites really do work. I'm still not sure if a dedicated web site for the band is worth it, because the social media sites have the prime virtual storefront location.
I agree about dedicated websites. I get maybe 20 hits each a week on my two sites, and about 400 a week on Facebook. Thanks for the input.

B

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
My jazz quintet has a listing here:

http://www.gigmasters.com/

and we get loads of inquiries and a fair amount of gigs. One of the things that's nice is you can submit bids for specific gigs so if you have a lot of work and a gig looks like it may be a PITA- you can bid it really high- if you haven't played in a while and feel the group is getting rusty and you just want to play wherever you can bid lower.

Of course it doesn't hurt that our alto player runs a web design business so he's set us up on Facebook as well as some pretty nice websites like this one for our funk band;

http://masshipsteria.org/

Now if only our playing was as good as our websites......

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
In the land of Oz, Myspace was once essential to get gigs. Not as much anymore with FB, and other sites such as Bandcamp etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Thanks for this link, looks like a well-run site.
Our corporate band uses gigmasters to some success. We had to write an exclusion for this in the contract with our agent. He didn't like it, but we hit him over the head with it during a dry spell and he really had no choice. We get a couple of leads per week and close about one in ten deals...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Social networks are great - until you find out you did not get the job you dreamt off and worked hard for because someone linked you on a photo that's not quite pleasing or some remarks about you that you have absolutely no control over.

More than 50% of the recruitment people and agencies in the UK do check the usual social network sites for info about possible candidates to sort out 'unwanted elements'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Social networks are great - until you find out you did not get the job you dreamt off and worked hard for because someone linked you on a photo that's not quite pleasing or some remarks about you that you have absolutely no control over.

More than 50% of the recruitment people and agencies in the UK do check the usual social network sites for info about possible candidates to sort out 'unwanted elements'.
Well that's basically your own fault because you can alter the privacy settings so no one can see things unless they are your friends and you can always delete tags

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that's basically your own fault because you can alter the privacy settings so no one can see things unless they are your friends and you can always delete tags
Facebook pages must be monitored almost everyday. I go through everyday and see if any of my network "friends" post things that do not meet my criteria for good taste. Used in the right way I believe they can be enlightening and extremely helpful.

B

·
Banned
248 Posts
If anything Social media has done very little for me.
Players in my environment where mainly rock, punk and trash players, environments I don't want to be associated with.

If anything, the only thing social media has helped me with is increase my knowledge of gear, and musicians.
Also some songs; that is if you consider forums a part of social media.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes.

Networking.

Announcing gigs, instead of putting signs on telephone poles.I don't mind waiting outside the occassional gig ,and handing out flyers.

Other usesof say Bandcamp or other types of things, let people hear the music, and you can link to cdbaby, itunes or whatever, and people can....PAY..for the music.

I know that is foreign to some.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I still haven't joined FaceBook.
I guess I'm just too cool for that...

·
Registered
315 Posts
For me, I can talk to relatives and such in other states, show pictures of kids etc.

I don't do the games, or check it maniacally or anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts