Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
That Cannonball video has become a bit of a classic. It does go a long way in showing how important one's "concept of sound" is to what comes out the horn. I remember where he describes going out and listening to great players and then coming home and trying to work out what they are doing to sound like that. A lot of the jazz greats learned to play like that.

·
Administrator
17,284 Posts
If he is good at doing this , it proves that equipment is not that important ...
Don Menza is a great player and good at this and proofing that equipment is not that important is exactly what he is doing in this video.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
First off, I'd highly suggest searching Don Menza on YouTube and getting an idea of his wide scope of playing. Everything from the late 60's stuff with Buddy Rich, 90's with the WDR (Danish) Big Band, to stuff at about the time that vid was recorded (2010 I believe). I've seen vids of him playing on NUMEROUS different mouthpieces from a metal Berg, a Brilhart Tonalin to the metal Link he's playing in that vid. He's truly one of the most underrated jazz tenor players. While I do believe equipment matters, the studying of concepts and the techniques used/needed to pull them off is equally (if not more) important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts