Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm playing tenor and play the Francois Louis Ultimate ligature. I like the focus and brightness it adds but feel that it also adds a bit of resistance. Many folks play the Ishimori lig nowadays - how does it compare to the FL Ultimate? Is it worth the much money it costs?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
The Ultimate does add quite a bit of resistance. Have you tried the FL Pure Brass Ligatures? I find those superior, but that is just my personal opinion. The Silver and Brass are my favorite. I'd describe them like this:

Brass - concentration on the mid frequencies and free blowing. Has edge to it and is probably the most middle of the road of the three. I know a lot of guys like this one.

Silver - most resistance of the 3, but not as much as the Ultimate by any means. Has the most point to it and while it's dark also has a nice brightness on top. I find this is the best for aggressive players that push hard and want something to blow against.

Gold - most free blowing and dark of the 3. This is my personal least favorite as I feel it gets too "dark", BUT it has a HUGE sound and is the perceived biggest of the 3.

I've played all three of these on Alto, Tenor, Bari, and Soprano and they are hands down my favorite ligature for Hard Rubber. I own Silver on all the horns. I find that I sell mostly Silver then Brass and then Gold. My buddy uses the brass one in the shop.

Ishimori ligatures.

These are "tighter" than the FL pure brass ligs on hard rubber and I prefer them on metal links or metal pieces in general. I like them for classical on HR. The Brass or the Solid Silver are again my favorites although I've tried copper, gold, solid silver pink gold plate, regular pink gold plate and the list goes on! The attributes above pertain to these too in my opinion.

Both of these are great options! I hope this helps you decide if something is better for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts