Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing for a few years, and every time I wear a polo or dress shirt (Every concert and performance...) the neckstrap is terrible to try and wear, I'm constantly squirming and adjusting it trying to make it comfortable, but it just messes up the collar.

How do YOU wear your neckstrap? What kind of neckstrap works best for a shirt with a collar?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,889 Posts
Depends on the horn. The heavier the horn the wider the strap - but I don't play neotech, too wide. Basic Ray Hyman model for sop & alto, DeJacque for tenor. I had a neotech for outdoor gigs, but it was uncomfortable for many reasons. I gave it away.

I put the strap under the collar where the tie goes.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
If I'm wearing a tie, the strap is outside the collar. No tie, under the collar. Obviously, if you're going to wear the strap under the collar, then a thick strap is out. I use a Planet Waves strap which is comfortable either way. (Man I wish I had bought a few more of those before they stopped making them!) Rico has a very similar strap to the Planet Waves, but they're not thick at all, and not very comfortable with a tenor.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I use a Neotech on my Alto, becuase I like to move it around when I play.
But for Tenor I like the neckstrap that came with the horn a Ray Haymen. They just go outside the collar.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I'm a slob. I never pay attention. I don't think I put it under, ever, and it's very expensive to get me to wear a tie;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Carbs said:
Do you do Funerals in that shirt?
The next Funeral I plan on attending is my own. So the answer is--I might.;)

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
My usual attire is polo shirt and jeans so my Neotech strap goes over the collar. When I have to wear a normal shirt the strap goes over the collar too but its not too comfy. Worst is with a bow tie but those days, (community band), are over now thankfully.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
The Ray Hyman straps will fit under or over the collar, do whatever way feels comfrotable for you. I use the Hymans on tenor and I find no hassles with using them at all.

Every time I use my Hyman I keep thinking of that band Buster ****an and the Pentrators!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,211 Posts
I just put the strap over my head and clip the horn on the end. I've never even thought about the shirt collar and it's never been an issue, regardless of the strap.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,793 Posts
If I'm not wearing a tie and the collar is open, I always wear the neck strap around my neck like a necklace inside my shirt. Otherwise it's spread too far across my shoulders and it causes the horn to sit too high.

I need a longer strap. Both my tenor and alto straps are at the end of their lengths.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I use Hyman's. If I am playing both Alto and Tenor I use two straps, one set for my Alto and one set for Tenor. My Alto strap is white...my Tenor strap is black. If I am wearing a tux, they go outside the collar, if open collar, then inside.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,211 Posts
After reading this thread, I'll be damned if I noticed some slight discomfort with my neckstrap on the gig the other night! Never noticed it before. I actually had to adjust my collar a bit. Thanks guys, lol......

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,793 Posts
JL said:
After reading this thread, I'll be damned if I noticed some slight discomfort with my neckstrap on the gig the other night! Never noticed it before. I actually had to adjust my collar a bit. Thanks guys, lol......

Must've been some of the Filet Mignon and Cabernet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts