Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think just playing it through without regard to the result as Guto mentioned is the way to go. One time is just "making it through." Seven times is approaching intuitive mastery/comfort. Any number of times in between is...something in between. Unlikely something will "pop in" to your playing immediately but will later unexpected.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah OK - I'll take all your words for it - be keen to see how this compares to Greg Fishman's books.
Might be a little less situation specific. The Hip Licks book, for example, is specific (mostly) to fitting over various types of ii V progressions, but the Nelson patterns are such that you are building some technique that you'll need to find a place for.

It's amazing how easy it is to milk a pattern to create 8th or 16th lines if you have even the least amount of variation to break it up. I'd check out some of the "connecting links" like those in Steve Neff's bebop books. (Think he's on here regularly, right?) The dominant ones are especially good but major and minor books are worth a look too. The patterns are a cozy fire of sorts that can really be juiced up with some gasoline. Two or three degrees of the pattern followed by an approach pattern elsewhere, octave displacement lick....something else once comfortable and then they'll really take off.

I generally think that patterns and links are much better uses of your time and licks are nearly a waste of time (regardless of whose) since so difficult to make them seem anything other than planted, but then I look at a Bird solo and it's a way higher percentage of quotes/licks than I'd guess beforehand, so what do I know?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts