Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gotten serious about the humidity factor of storing reeds, I used to just put them in a cheapo reed guard and that was it but I have had a rico reed vitalizer case for about 6 months now and I like it. My problem is that I am in my second semester of music school and my main saxophone is alto, I am playing bari in Jazz band and tenor in wind ensemble. I have more reeds than I can store in my single reed case so I have been trying some alternative solutions to storing reeds. I have been storing my bari sax reeds in a ziploc bag (name brand one for airtight-ness) with a couple drops of water in the bag to keep humidity up. The second thing I did, is with my rico reserve reeds (my unplayed ones from the box) I have put them in another ziploc bag with a reed revitalizer pack until I take one out to play it.

Summary for those who didn't want to read my monologue: How do you store your reeds with humidity levels in mind?

·
Registered
278 Posts
In mason jars in the plastic reed guard with about a half ounce of vodka.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel that the vodka does something different for the reed? Or is it to keep mold away?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I just use those inexpensive plastic reed guard (does Rico make them now?) and store in the case. I soak a few minutes in fresh water before I start playing. Have a little tackle-box for extra reeds, mouthpieces, ligatures, leak light, etc.

Not sure I'd keep them in an air-tight bag like that, if there was any bacteria left on the reed might get funky real fast that way. I've seen that happen with toothbrushes before...the guys who use jars and stuff, I can see that since it's easy to change out the water, etc.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I give my Legeres (clarinet, soprano, alto, tenor and baritone) a quick wipe and leave them on the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fsaxwas9- I do the bag because it is easier to throw them in my backpack and be on my way, I have thought of the mold issue though and it makes me nervous.

Keyplyr- welp, looks like you know what you're doin, I know what I'm doing now time to end the thread! ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Selmer reed cases, which keeps them pressed flat to a piece of glass... I have a number of them to hold different sets I use in rotation: for performance, for practice, new reeds just started, old ones about to be retired...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I keep mine in my cigar humidor. Works well, and if I leave them in long enough they pick up a faint cigar odor and taste. You can buy cigar humidifiers for very cheap.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I store them in the rico reed case (I can't remember the name) that has a compartment inside for a humidity pack.
It's simple and it works great for me
It's called a Reed Vitalizer. I've been using that system for a few years now and it works great. The one I use has a zip lock bag that you but your reed cases in with a special humidifier pack. It's fairly cheap and the reeds seem to last a long time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
OOoo your a bad boy ... Sax player & Smoker how does that work .... ? :whistle:
I smoke 2-3 per year. But I also run, cycle, swim and lift weights so all is good. Plus you don't inhale.
On a similar note, and don't want to get too far off topic here...didn't Desmond smoke? Died of lung cancer, but what a tone...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I use a small Horseradish Mustard jar to put four reeds in, in their plastic holders, with a shot of vodka. They never dry out and nothing foul grows on them. I'm using #2 and #1 1/2 reeds, and I was burning through them at an alarming rate. Now, I can get a single #1 1/2 reed to last for a month.

Warning: Rinse out the jar thoroughly if you don't want your reeds to taste like Horseradish. :(

Turtle

·
Registered
238 Posts
In Reed Cases, for multiple reeds; and also, in the original individual cases, with a plastic bag and Rico Reed Vitalizer sachet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In mason jars in the plastic reed guard with about a half ounce of vodka.
A friend of mine, of Argentina, makes the same !

·
Registered
923 Posts
Vandoren reed guard (with the little charcoal pack insert) for alto/tenor reeds. For soprano, just the little plastic slipcases they come in seem to work fine for me - I haven't experienced any issues with premature reed death or breakdown.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I give my Legeres (clarinet, soprano, alto, tenor and baritone) a quick wipe and leave them on the mouthpiece.
As do I.
With the proviso that, using Fibracells, I remove them from the mouthpiece in order to give the latter a good scrub every couple of months.
Occasionally, between this major service, I take off the mouthpiece C/W reed & place it under a running tap for a short while.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts