Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do two to four con hospital gigs a week. I'll play a song on sax then go right into a song on flute so I need a way to grab my embouchure especially in the upper register after I've done a song on alto with lots of alt so my lips are tired. Any tips from you guys who have to do this in a pit or in a show? K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,006 Posts
I never thought about it that way. Most of my life I only had a tenor, then I got an alto. It stayed that way for a long time but now I have two tenors, the alto, a soprano and a baritone. I carry alt, ten and bar on most gigs and add soprano on some. I just pick up the horns and play them. I always sound like myself on each horn and I think I have a good sound on each. Now if I had to play flute, which is a completely different embouchure, I don't know how fast I could get back on the sax, but guys do it every day. I think it just takes practice. But going from soprano to baritone then to dual saxes (ten/alt) all night long, I'm still able to do that.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
Keith,

Try buzzing your lips like brass players do. See if that loosens you up a bit. You can also try the "crazy man stretch" as I've hears it called...make the biggest smile ear to ear you can muster....then a tight kissy face. Might help relax some face muscles and get you ready for the flute.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,368 Posts
Do enough shows and you don't have to think about it. You just do it automatically..

Good 'practice' is to get out all your instruments, play a couple three songs on one, and rotate in a somewhat random order.
Repeat as necessary until your face doesn't need to think.
Worked for me, might work for you too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks you guys/gals. Good advice. I'll try the buzz thing and I do have my flute always out when I practice alto so I can "practice" switching. good ideas K

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I practice tenor, bari, flute and alto flute in various combinations every week. If you practice the way you want to be able to switch back and forth between your doubles on gigs eventually you'll just get used to doing it and the adjustments will happen quickly and naturally.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
+1 tp badmommy.
As with everything, you get better at it by doing it, preferably with an attentive mind!! It is that attentive mind that positively sorts the feedback from air pressure muscles, lips, tongue and ears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts