Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to pronounce this name in German. But did Wiedoeft pronounce it that way, or in some "Americanized" way? Does anyone know?

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stefank said:
Scary. If "Buescher" can become "Boosher"...............
That's what I mean! I've heard people pronouce this name several different ways, the most frequent being WHY-deft. That's obviously not the German way!

How do Tasmanians pronounce it? I'm sure they talk about Rudy all the time down there!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
I first learned of Rudy Wiedoeft (weed-off or weedoft--usually midwestern Americans drop the T) at a NASA (North American Saxophone Alliance) conference at a lecture presented by Larry Teal. That's how he pronounced it.

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hakukani said:
I first learned of Rudy Wiedoeft (weed-off or weedoft--usually midwestern Americans drop the T) at a NASA (North American Saxophone Alliance) conference at a lecture presented by Larry Teal. That's how he pronounced it.
Something like that. I've heard several variations on this. I've yet to hear an American use German pronunciation for this name. But I wonder about Rudy himself. Anyone know how close he was to Europe, generation-wise? First or second generation immigrant? If he was close enough, he would have had the German pronunciation at home. But I don't know about this.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In my head I always "hear" Why-dofft.

Even though I know better......

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davevillajr said:
In my head I always "hear" Why-dofft.

Even though I know better......
Yep, that's another one I've heard.

I've read snippets about Wiedoeft in various books; I've never run across anything resembling a full fledged biography even of a condensed kind (blurbs etc. yes, of course). Writers discuss his career, his technique, his influence, but not much about his early life. Here's a little paragraph from a web site; this is pretty typical:

Born in Detroit, Wiedoeft played with his parents and siblings in the Wiedoeft Family Orchestra, which eventually resettled to the West Coast. Wiedoeft's original instrument was the violin, but he broke his bowing arm at age ten and switched to clarinet. At the age of 15 Wiedoeft bought his first C Melody saxophone, still then an exotic instrument that relatively few American musicians had succeeded in mastering.

This source doesn't even bother with his date of birth (1893), which locates him buying his first sax in 1908! But who were his parents? How'd they get to Detroit? How long had they been there?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,813 Posts
hakukani said:
I've only ever heard these two variants, and always assumed those using the first were just being lazy.

I first heard of Rudy threw a lecture-demo that Ted Hegvik did back in the mid-70s. At some point Ted was actually in contact with the Weidoeft family and he has a scrapbook of Rudy's wife's that a relative of hers gave him. It's supposedly singed from the fire in which Mae Wiedoeft died. My point being, I think Hegvik would have tracked down the correct pronunciation.

What's the German pronunciation?

There's a guy named Doug Caldwell who is working on a Wiedoeft bio. If you really want to know more I could PM an old email address for him and you could see if it still works.

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct me native German speakers, but in German the name would be pronounced vee-derft. I think.

It would be very interesting to be in touch with a biographer! If it's not too much trouble, would you check?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Well, his Wikipedia entry says he was born in 'Detroit, the son of German immigrants'. Midwesterners just don't do umlauts, trust me.;)

Midwestern pronunciations:
Boosher, or busher
Debussy-dubyoussy
Schoenberg-showenburg

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hakukani said:
Well, his Wikipedia entry says he was born in 'Detroit, the son of German immigrants'. Midwesterners just don't do umlauts, trust me.;)

Boosher, or busher
Debussy-dubyoussy
Schoenberg-showenburg
Believe me, I know. I lived in Ohio for 5 years.

In Binghamton, NY (not the midwest, I know, but. . . ) they have a street called Beethoven St.--pronounced bee-THO-ven.

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mississippians of course pronounce everything to perfection. Especially death sentences.

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hakukani said:

Boosher, or busher
Debussy-dubyoussy
Schoenberg-showenburg
The family obviously would have retained the Old World pronunciation in memory at least; but to what extent would they have adopted an Americanized pronunciation just to fit in?

It's a wonder they didn't come out on this side of Ellis Island named Smith.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Believe me, I know. I lived in Ohio for 5 years.

In Binghamton, NY (not the midwest, I know, but. . . ) they have a street called Beethoven St.--pronounced bee-THO-ven.
It's worse in Kansas. We chew our diphthongs. My Mom still say Huh-wye-yuh.

Theres also:

El Dorado-- El Do-ray-do
Salina--Sa Line uh
Greenwich Road---Green which Road

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hakukani said:

Theres also:

El Dorado-- El Do-ray-do
Salina--Sa Line uh
Most things are worse in Kansas. Unless you live in Oklahoma (I lived there too).

Every time someone crosses the state line from Kansas into Oklahoma it raises the average IQ in both states.

This joke can be used to be cruel to people in any border situation.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,792 Posts
hakukani said:

Theres also:

El Dorado-- El Do-ray-do
Salina--Sa Line uh
How do they say La Jolla California? Or Worcester Mass?:?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
martysax said:
How do they say La Jolla California? Or Worcester Mass?:?
Those places aren't in Kansas.

La Jolla--La Hoi a (Kansas does have a Hispanic population)
I've heard of wursh-di-shur-shire sauce

Luckily, I've lived enough places that my accent is completely confused.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Most things are worse in Kansas. Unless you live in Oklahoma (I lived there too).

Every time someone crosses the state line from Kansas into Oklahoma it raises the average IQ in both states.

This joke can be used to be cruel to people in any border situation.
Don't get me started on Okie jokes...there are folks from Oklahoma on SOTW, and I don't want to have to explain the jokes to them.;)

·
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take a look back -- I was in there swinging! I said gar-DAL-la, if I remember correctly, and also noted that some people pronounce it a**hole. Now maybe "German criminal."

Hey, maybe we can get Dave to do some research on the Wiedoeft family's background in Germany. From what I'm reading around here, he's likely got a lot of time on his hands.

Anyway, this thread is a blatant ripoff of yours, and I acknowledge that fact without embarrassment. Well, kinda.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts