Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not easy but can be done. I've heard some pros do it (Kenny Garrett for example).
Any tips, experiences and insights would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Usually a large chamber mouthpiece (Otto Link Master Link, etc...) plus a really hard reed works well.

I used to have a Florida STM 10 that sounded like a husky tenor when I used Rico Orange Box 3s. Great sound!

But why would you want to sound like a tenor on alto? Just get a tenor! Alto is supposed to have its own unique character, in my opinion!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with ThunderWhale, but try putting a tenor reed on your alto mouthpiece. It's different. Not the same thing as a tenor, but it's something to try...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Kenny Garrett doesn't sound like a tenor player, but he does have a very deep rich sound... he uses a Selmer soloist, one of the most alto-y mouthpieces out there. It really comes from playing alto for years and years and working on your sound all of that time. Get crackin' :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ThunderWhale said:
Usually a large chamber mouthpiece (Otto Link Master Link, etc...) plus a really hard reed works well.

I used to have a Florida STM 10 that sounded like a husky tenor when I used Rico Orange Box 3s. Great sound!
Sounds good. Thanks!

ThunderWhale said:
But why would you want to sound like a tenor on alto? Just get a tenor! Alto is supposed to have its own unique character, in my opinion!
1. Mostly because I don't have the dollars for a tenor right now.
2. It's also lighter.
3. Our choir has too few men's voices. I'm think a more tenorish sound on my alto might help. Not sure if it will work though but may be worth trying.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sambeaux said:
I agree with ThunderWhale, but try putting a tenor reed on your alto mouthpiece. It's different. Not the same thing as a tenor, but it's something to try...
Thanks. If I can get close enough to a tenor sound that would be okay.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saxymanzach said:
Sell it and buy a tenor.
Then I won't have an alto when I need it.:cry:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Razzy said:
Kenny Garrett doesn't sound like a tenor player, but he does have a very deep rich sound... he uses a Selmer soloist, one of the most alto-y mouthpieces out there. It really comes from playing alto for years and years and working on your sound all of that time. Get crackin' :)
You said it.:D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swingin' Cat said:
Combine the two ideas: use an open, large chambered mpc and a tenor reed.
This might work. Thanks.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,785 Posts
Listen to a lot of tenor and try to get that sound when you play alto.

Jackie McLean said that's how he got his sound - trying to make his alto sound like a tenor.

[Edit] Oh, if you really want to buy something, Mojobari modifies a Meyer by opening the tip, scooping out the sidewalls and putting in a baffle in order to help with this objective. He's got a post here somewhere where he discusses it if you feel like doing some searching.

·
Registered
115 Posts
lol...

if you want to sound like a tenor just buy one!...

for some reason you have a family of saxs....

regards from Portugal

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chitown is right. Listen to a lot of tenor and try to emulate that sound. Transcribe tenor solos on your alto and play along with the recordings.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Tenors just don't sound like altos. OK-maybe for a note or two! The TIMBRE is different. If you play a concert C on alto,(A),and on tenor,(D), they must sound different! If you mean a TENOR-LIKE sound, you have to remember tenor sax players,(from one to another), don't sound the same at all! Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane, and King Curtis, don't sound alike AT ALL! I don't EVER remember thinking ANY alto player sounding like a tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,780 Posts
Listen to Earl Bostic! He was said to use a tenor reed, and I know for sure he did all his great early stuff on a 'The Martin Alto'.

·
Registered
268 Posts
To avoid posting a whole new topic, I'll expand on this one:

A friend wants me to learn some saxophone parts from songs he's learning on guitar, but many of these songs (Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick for example) feature a tenorist. Beyond just sounding somewhat close to a tenorist, is it even worth trying to blend into the style of the music with an alto? I'll probably try anyway, but I'm curious to know what to expect.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dunno. Just try playing with the style, and try to emulate the sound that the featured tenor plays. Saxophones are extremely versatilve instruments. I'm sure you'll be able to work out a comprimise if anything.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I saw that the OP mentioned that he wanted to sound like a tenor on alto, and mentioned Kenny Garrett as an example. To me, Kenny sounds like an alto. My tone is actually very similar, though I like my tone better (I've worked pretty hard on my sound) Some tricks that Kenny uses are actually much like the tricks Brecker used.

For instance, he uses Low C B Bb fingerings for the mid range equivalents. He even uses this trick up through C#, D, Eb, at times. In other words he will leave out the octave key on these notes.

Otherwise, it is a personal thing. You must shed your tone to your satisfaction. I know It has taken me nearly 6 years of persistent study to get where I have been wanting to be, but I got there, and I still practice a lot to stay there, and keep evolving as a player.

The truth is, you've gotta put in the time man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts